FINAL SCORE: Norwich 13 | Albertus Magnus 11
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-3, 0-3) | Norwich (5-4, 1-2)
New Haven, Conn. – Despite outscoring the visitors 6-3 in the second half, the Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team was edged by Norwich University, 13-11, in GNAC action on Saturday afternoon at Celentano Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Sophomore Kathryn Albretsen scored Norwich's first three goals of the game just four minutes into the contest to give the hosts the early advantage. Meaghan McGrath pushed the Cadets' lead to four, 4-0, at the 22:08 mark before Aida Sarr (Bronx, N.Y.) broke the Falcons' silence with a man-up goal two minutes later.
Norwich extended its lead five, 6-1, following back-to-back goals from Olivia Bloom and McGrath until goals from Sarr and Courtney Cacace (Brookfield, Conn.) cut the Cadets' lead in half, 6-3, with 10:57 remaining.
However, Norwich would close out the first half with a 4-2 run to secure a 10-5 lead at the half. Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn.) and Nikki Kern (Wallingford, Conn.) scored the Falcons' two goals both on a free position attempt.
Albertus Magnus came out with fire in its eyes to start off the second half as the Falcons scored five straight goals to tie the game at 10-10 with 14:38 left in regulation. During the rally, D'Agostino led the offensive unit with three goals while Cacace and Kern collected the other two goals.
However, the Cadets stopped the Albertus Magnus rally with three-straight markers to capture the lead for good.
- Freshman Lawson Hayes earned the win for Norwich in goal, making three saves on 14 shots.
- The goaltending duo of Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) and Grace Vestro (Waterbury, Conn.) combined for 11 saves on 24 shots while Fenn earned her third loss of the season.
- The Cadets held statistical advantages over Albertus Magnus in shots (26-to-22), ground balls (28-to-26), draw controls (14-to-11) and successful clears (24-to-18).
- Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn.) led the Falcons in ground balls with 10 as well as scored a team-high four goals.
- Aida Sarr (Bronx N.Y.) recorded her fourth hat-trick of the season while Nikki Kern (Wallingford, Conn.) and Courtney Cacace (Brookfield, Conn.) added two goals apiece.
The Falcons return to action next week against Saint Joseph's (Conn.) and Mount Ida.