FINAL SCORE: Mount Ida 20 | Albertus Magnus 4
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-4, 1-4) | Mount Ida (11-2, 4-1)
Newton Mass. – The Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team fell to Mount Ida College, 20-4, on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Field in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference clash.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Mount Ida took control of the momentum of the game as the hosts took the early 4-0 advantage, forcing the Falcons to call a timeout to re-group with 21:03 left on the clock. During the Mustangs run, Brooke Scahill led the team with back-to-back goals while Emily McConnell added a goal and an assist.
The Mustangs tacked on another run at the 17:58 mark to push their lead to 5-0 until an unassisted goal from Nikki Kern (Wallingford, Conn.) broke the Falcons' silence and cut the lead to four, 5-1, with 13:41 remaining.
However, the hosts would close out the first half with a 7-0 run to take a 12-1 lead at the half.
Three minutes later, Aida Sarr (Bronx, N.Y.) and D'Agostino found the back of the net to add two goals to the Falcons' total, 19-4.
Mount Ida would secure the home win with the 20-4 advantage.
INSIDE THE STATS
- The Mustangs kept the Falcons out of their offensive end for much of the game, holding the visitors to 10-29 on clear attempts and dominating the middle of the field, while clearing their zone 15 out of 18 tries.
- Sophomore Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) earned the loss for the Falcons as well as made 19 saves in net.
- D'Agostino led the Falcons with two goals, two ground balls, a caused turnover and two draw control wins.
- Mount Ida outshot its opponents 49-11 and caused 34 turnovers while making just 14 themselves.
- The highlight day for Alyssa Kelly comes exactly two years to the day after Amanda Bowen set the single-game scoring mark with 10 goals and 12 points against Becker College. The sophomore now has 62 goals and 86 points to lead the GNAC and continues to climb in the national ranks for scoring.
The Falcons return to action next week against Johnson & Wales, Lasell and Rivier.