New Haven, Conn. - Despite a two-goal, two assist performance from senior Alex Chan (Monroe, N.Y.), the Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team fell short in its season opener to Mount Ida, 22-8, Tuesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action.
FINAL SCORE: Mount Ida 22 | Albertus Magnus 8
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-1, 0-1) | Mount Ida (3-1, 1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Over the first six minutes of play, Albertus Magnus battled through two ties until the Mustangs scored back-to-back goals doubling their lead, 4-2. Shortly after, sophomore Sabrina Pohlig (West Palm Beach, Fla.) brought the score to within one, 4-3, after netting her first goal of the season after a nice feed from Chan.
However, Mount Ida would go on to score seven straight goals, including two from Alyssa Kelly and Brooke Scahill, to take a commanding 11-3 lead with 10:49 remaining in the half. Junior Aida Sarr (Bronx, N.Y.) broke the Falcons' silence at the 9:35 mark after finding the back of the net for her first of the year before Mount Ida scored two additional goals within a minute, pushing their lead to nine, 13-4.
Despite a goal from Katherin Martinez (Norwalk, Conn.) at the 6:28 mark, the Falcons would trail the Mustangs, 13-5, heading into the locker room.
Mount Ida carried its momentum into the second as the Mustangs opened the half with back-to-back goals before the Falcons went on a three-goal run, cutting the lead to seven, 15-8. However, Albertus Magnus was unable to score after that as the Mustangs secured the conference win.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus Magnus - Lexi Fenn (0-1): 22 Goals-Against | 11 Saves | 33 Shots
- Mount Ida - Eleanor Garvey (3-1): 8 Goals-Against | 8 Saves | 16 Shots
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Mount Ida was led offensively by Brooke Scahill, who posted a team-best seven goals and an assist, while Alyssa Kelly added six goals and four assists to the Mustangs stat line.
- Along with Chan, sophomore Courtney Cacace (Brookfield, Conn.) posted two goals as well as posted two ground balls and caused a turnover.
- Sophomore Katherin Martinez (Norwalk, Conn.) opened 2018 with two assists and a goal for three points.
- Albertus Magnus held a 22-21 edge in ground balls and an 1--8 edge in saves.
- Mount Ida won the battle in the circle, posting 20 draw control wins compared to the Falcons who posted 12.
- Albertus Magnus was 14-of-17 in clears and 2-of-11 in free position shots.
- Mount Ida was 18-0f-22 in clears and 5-of-11 in free position shots.
- The Falcons held a 4-2 advantage in caused turnovers.
- Fenn and junior Sasha Byrd (Hamden, Conn.) posted a team-high four ground balls.
- Sophomore Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn.) finished the game winning six draw controls as well as posted two ground balls, a caused turnover and a goal.
Albertus Magnus returns to Celentano Field on Thursday, March 22nd as the Falcons host Bay Path in a non-conference showdown beginning at 6 pm. Mount Ida heads to Leicester, Mass. on Thursday afternoon to take on Becker in a non-league outing that begins at 4:00 p.m