New Haven, Conn. - Behind a combined total of 11 goals from freshmen Alix Hughes (Trumbull, Conn.) and Katherin Martinez (Norwalk, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team earned it first "W" of the season as the Falcons defeated Bay Path, 18-2, Thursday evening in non-conference action at Celentano Field. Martinez led the Falcons with a game-high six goals while Hughes added five of her own to the Falcons 18.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 18 | Bay Path 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-1, 0-1) | Bay Path (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus and Bay Path opened regulation scoring back-to-back goals, 1-1, until the Falcons found their rhythm on offense and outscored the Wildcats 10-0 to take a commanding 11-1 lead at the half. Hughes led the offensive attack in the first scoring all six of her goals in the first 30 minutes of play.
Albertus Magnus continued its offensive attack, scoring seven goals, while holding Bay Path to only a goal in the second half to secure the home win. Martinez scored her final three goals in the second while Korina Zelaya (Trumbull, Conn.) and Michele Guerrera (Watertown, Conn.) scored their first markers of the season.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus Magnus - Lexi Fenn (1-1): 1 Goals-Against | 4 Saves | 5 Shots
- Albertus Magnus - Grace Vestro: 1 Goals-Against | 3 Saves | 4 Shots
- Bay Path - Taryn Karol-Chik (0-1): 18 Goals-Against | 11 Saves | 29 Shots
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus pushes its record to 5-0 against Bay Path in the all-time series.
- Along with her six goals, Martinez posted a team-high two assists as well as scooped up four ground balls and caused two turnovers.
- Five different players from Albertus Magnus registered at least two caused turnovers.
- Kaylee Herring and Samantha Rubacha led the Wildcats offense with a goal each while Herring posted a team-high three ground balls, along with three other players.
- The Wildcats posted a total of 23 turnover compared to the Falcons who recorded 15.
- Albertus Magnus outshot Bay Path, 33-10, as well as posted a 29-20 edge in ground balls.
- Bay Path was 7-of-10 in clears and 1-of-1 in free position shots.
- Albertus Magnus went 5-of-12 in free position shots and 13-of-14 in clears.
- Sophomore Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn.) won the battle in the circle with seven draw control wins.
Albertus Magnus returns to Celentano Field on Saturday, March 24 as the Falcons host Saint Joseph's of Maine in a GNAC showdown beginning at 1 pm at Celentano Field.