Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. – Despite a pair of goals from junior Sabrina Pohlig (West Palm Beach, Fla.), the Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team fell in its season opener to SUNY Old Westbury, 16-4, on Wednesday evening in non-conference action at Celentano Field.
FINAL: SUNY Old Westbury 16 | Albertus Magnus College 4
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-1) | Old Westbury (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half (9-1 OW)
- Old Westbury came firing out on all cylinders, scoring eight consecutive goals to take a commanding 8-0 lead with 3:07 remaining in the first.
- Albertus responded, scoring its first goal of the game thanks to Pohlig at the 1:26 mark, but would head into halftime trailing 9-1.
- Sophomore Maddy Rowe (Branford, Conn.) would pick up the assist on Pohlig's goal.
Second Half (7-3 OW)
- Old Westbury scored the first four goals of the second half to build a 12-goal advantage just over seven minutes into the half to seal the win.
- Pohlig broke the Panthers' scoring run with her second of the game at the 18:50 mark, to cut the gap to 13-2.
- The Panthers went on to score the next three goals to push their lead back up to 16-2 with 11:30 left on the clock.
- Juniors Korina Zelaya (Trumbull, Conn.) and Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn.) closed out regulation with back-to-back free-position goals to bring the final score to 16-4.
- Zelaya posted a team-high five ground balls as well as scored a goal, won two draw controls and caused two turnovers.
- Sophomore Katherin Martinez (Norwalk, Conn.) and senior Sasha Byrd (Hamden, Conn.) also caused two turnovers for the Falcons.
- D'Agostino opened the season with six draw control wins.
- Natasha Treuman led the Panthers with a season-high seven goals to go along with two assists for nine points.
- Along with Treuman, Hope Matthews tallied a team-high two assists.
- Jessica Pedroza posted five draw control wins as well as scored a goal and an assist for two points.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Lexie Fenn (L, 0-1) (Oakville, Conn.): 9 Goals-Against | 7 Saves | 16 Shots | 30 minutes
- Grace Vestro (Waterbury, Conn.) : 7 Goals-Against | 1 Save | 8 Shots | 30 minutes
- Tazmeya Allen (W, 1-1): 4 Goals-Against | 7 Saves | 11 Shots
Albertus opens up Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action on Saturday, March 9th with a home contest against Simmons University. Game-time is set for 11 a.m. at Celentano Field in New Haven, Conn.