Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. – Freshman Madison Neilander (Wallingford, Conn.) led the offensive unit with a career-high seven goals as the Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team picked up its first win of the season, defeating in-state rival the Unviersity of Saint Joseph's, 16-7, on Wednesday afternoon at Celentano Field in a mid-week Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) showdown.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 16 | Saint Joseph's (CT) 7
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-2, 1-1) | Saint Joseph's (CT) (1-3, 0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half (8-5 AM)
- Junior Kaitlyn Ellsworth (Tolland, Conn.) scored the first goal of the game less than two minutes in to give the Falcons the early advantage, 1-0.
- On the very next play, USJ's Jenna Banta broke free for a goal, tying the game at one.
- Albertus would go on to score three straight goals, including a pair from Neilander, to push its lead to 4-1 with 23:10 to go.
- USJ would break up the Falcons' scoring run on a man down goal from Charlotte Eberhardt at the 17:28 mark.
- Albertus answered back with a 3-1 scoring run that was highlighted by a goal from Maddy Rowe (Branford, Conn.) and two goals from Neilander.
- Albertus saw its lead to dwindle to two, 7-5, after back-to-back goals from Eberhardt, but Alexis Lape (Bristol, Conn.) gave the Falcons a three-goal edge entering halftime, 8-5.
Second Half (8-2 AM)
- USJ's Symantha Fazzino opened up the second half with an unassisted goal to cut the gap to two, 8-6 with 26:39 to play.
- The intensity picked up as the Falcons found a way, scoring the next six goals in nine minutes.
- All of a sudden, Albertus had their largest lead of the game, 14-6, with 13:20 to go.
- Eberhardt did her part, scoring another goal, but it was not enough, as the Falcons wore the Blue Jays out down the stretch to claim their first win of the season.
- Along with her seven-goal performance, Neilander registered 11 shots, two ground balls, won five draw controls and caused a turnover.
- Ellsworth recorded a hat trick as well as picked up two ground balls and an assist.
- Junior Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn.) won eight draw controls, tallied an assist, and picked up two ground balls.
- Junior Korina Zelaya (Trumbull, Conn.) and Rowe both had two assists on the afternoon.
Saint Joseph's (CT):
- The Blue Jays were led offensively by Charlotte Eberhardt who posted a season-high five goals behind eight shot attempts.
- Freshman Taya Valdez tallied a season-high five ground balls as well as caused two turnovers.
- Along with Eberhardt, Jenna Banta won two draw controls.
- Symantha Fazzino and Jenna Banta added two goals for the Blue Jays.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.): 7 Goals-Against | 9 Saves | 16 Shots | 60 minutes
Saint Joseph's (CT):
- Silvana Barcomb: 16 Goals-Against | 15 Saves | 31 Shots
- With today's win, Albertus brings the all-time series record to 4-2 against Saint Joseph's (CT).
- The Falcons last win against the Blue Jays was back on April 12, 2017 as the team won by a score of 13-6.
- Albertus was just three goals shy of tying its program-high 22 goals, which was set back on March 16, 2015 against Bay Path.
Albertus resumes non-conference play on Thursday, March 14 as the Falcons host the College of Mount Saint Vincent. Game time is set for 12 pm at Celetano Field in New Haven, Conn.