Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. – Despite a hat trick from junior Korina Zelaya (Trumbull, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team suffered an 11-7 setback against the College of Mount Saint Vincent on Thursday afternoon in non-conference play at Celentano Field.
FINAL: Mt. St. Vincent 11 | Albertus Magnus 7
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-3) | Mt. St. Vincent (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half (3-2 MSV)
- Mt. St. Vincent controlled the opening 10 minutes of play as the Dolphins held a 2-0 lead behind back-to-back goals from Morgan Pavlik and Veronica Sevivas.
- Zelaya evened the score at 2-2 after scoring a pair of goals at the 18:33 and 11:24 mark, respectively.
- With nine seconds remaining in the first, Pavlik found the back of the net for her second of the game, giving the Dolphins a 3-2 lead at the half.
Second Half (8-5 MSV)
- Mt. St. Vincent fed off Pavlik's goal at the end of the first and kicked off the second with four straight goals to push its lead to five, 7-2.
- However, the momentum shifted as the Falcons scored three straight goals within a minute to cut the deficit to within two, 7-5.
- With 13:19 remaining, Mt. St. Vincent resumed controlled and closed out regulation with a 4-2 run to secure the road win over the Falcons.
- Along with her three goals, Zelaya collected an assist, a ground ball and a caused turnover.
- Freshman Alexis Lape (Bristol, Conn.) finished the game with two goals for two points while junior Kaitlyn Ellsworth (Tolland, Conn.) scored a goal and tallied an assist.
- Junior Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn) won four draw controls.
Mt. St. Vincent:
- Caitlin Elia and Pavlik led the offensive unit with four goals apiece.
- Sevivas posted a team-high two assists as well as scored a goal.
- Along with her four goals, Elia won a game-high eight draw controls while Pavlik picked up four.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) (L, 1-3): 11 Goals-Against | 7 Saves | 18 Shots
Mt. St. Vincent:
- Allyson Weakliem (W, 1-1): 7 Goals-Against | 9 Saves | 16 Shots
Albertus resumes GNAC play on Saturday, March 16 as the Falcons host Emmanuel College. Game time is set for 11 am at Celetano Field in New Haven, Conn.