New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team played a tough battle and fought until the end, but came up short against Norwich University, 14-9, on Wednesday afternoon at Celentano Field in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play.
FINAL: Norwich 14 | Albertus Magnus 9
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (5-10, 2-7) | Norwich (6-8, 4-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Norwich came out clicking offensively, scoring five quick goals within the first nine minutes of action to take a 5-0 lead. Albertus managed to outscore Norwich 3-2 over the remainder of the half, including a pair of goals from Madison Neilander (Wallingford, Conn.). However, the Cadets would hold a 7-3 lead heading into the break.
The second half proved to be a much tighter affair, as the Falcons trimmed the lead to just three, 8-5, following back-to-back goals from Kaitlyn Ellsworth (Tolland, Conn.) and Korina Zelaya (Trumbull, Conn.) with 23 minutes remaining.
A timely 4-1 run by Norwich gave them a 12-6 cushion with 18 to go, but Albertus answered with a 3-1 run of their own to tighten it back up to 13-9 with 6:31 minutes remaining.
Norwich's Jennifer Zarycki notched the final goal with 10 seconds on the clock to help ice the 14-9 victory, as Norwich managed to withstand the Falcons best rallying effort.
- Zelaya, Ellsworth and Neilander finished with a team-high two goals each while Neilander added four ground balls, five draw controls and three caused turnovers to her stat line.
- Sophomore Maddy Rowe (Branford, Conn.) assisted two of the Falcons' nine goals and scooped up six ground balls.
- Junior Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn.) claimed eight draw controls.
- Kate Winstanley was the story of the day, as the freshman made an astounding 24 saves on 33 shots to break the previous single-game saves record of 23.
- Brittney Poljacik tallied a hat trick while Abby Roberts notched one of her own to go with two assists.
- Brynn Mendes led the defensive unit causing three turnovers as well as scooped up five ground balls, won draw controls and scored a goal.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) (L, 5-9): 14 Goals-Against | 10 Saves | 24 Shots
- Kate Winstanley (W, 1-2): 9 Goal-Against | 24 Saves | 33 Shots
The Falcons return to the field on Saturday, April 20 with a home conference tilt against Lasell College. Game time is set for 11:00AM at Celentano Field.