Women's Soccer Erases Three-Goal Deficit in Overtime Win Versus Saint Joseph's (Me.)

Photo by Ron Waite/Photosportacular
Photo by Ron Waite/Photosportacular

New Haven, Conn. – Junior midfielder Danielle Polvan (East Haven, Conn.) capped an epic comeback for the Albertus Magnus College women's soccer team with the game-winning goal on Saturday afternoon in a 4-3 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) overtime victory against Saint Joseph's (Me.) at Celentano Field. With the win, the Falcons improve to 5-5-2 overall and 3-2 in conference tilts, while the Monks move to 6-6 on the year and 3-2 in league play.

With the score tied at three in the second overtime, Polvan collected a pass from senior forward Acacia Nelson (Bridgeport, Conn.) inside the box and fired a shot past Saint Joseph's goalkeeper Brooke Troup. The marker was her second of the game and came with 3:11 left on the clock. The game-winning tally was the first of the season for Polvan as she capped an impressive three-goal week in GNAC action.

Trailing by three in the second half, the hosts picked up the tempo and netted four unanswered goals en route to the victory. The three straight goals to end regulation came in a 20-minute span as Albertus Magnus stole the momentum away from the Monks.

Nelson put the Falcons on the board in the 64th minute with her third goal of the season. The strike was unassisted and started the Albertus rally. In the 79 minute, sophomore midfielder Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) brought the Falcons within one with her first goal of the season. Albertus freshman forward Alexya Alves (Naugatuck, Conn.) started the play with a pass to Piccirillo in the middle of the field and the second-year striker beat Troup with a blast from 25 yards out.

Just under three minutes later, Polvan netted her first goal of the game to tie the score at three with less 10 minutes remaining in regulation. Piccirillo earned the assist on the play as she found an open Polvan at the top of the box. Polvan corralled the pass and fired a shot into the upper 90 to knot the contest at three.

In the first overtime, the Falcons outshot the Monks, 3-0. All three shots were on target and turned aside by Troup. In the second overtime, Albertus controlled possession and tempo to hold the visitors without a shot. Over the final 62 minutes of action, Albertus allowed just one shot by Saint Joseph's, which was wide of the net and came early in the 51st minute.

The Monks opened the scoring in the 29th minute, as Emily Moreau potted an unassisted marker. Five minutes later, the guests built their lead to two courtesy of a goal from Desiree Parent. On Parent's tally, Colleen Sheehan picked up the assist with a nice pass to set the play up. Early in the second half, Saint Joseph's took a three-goal lead off a corner kick. Megen Pollini headed the cross into the box past Albertus Magnus senior goalkeeper Maria Case (West Haven, Conn.)

The Falcons held a 27-9 advantage in shots and took five corners compared to just two by the Monks.

In net, Case made three saves to earn her fourth win of the season for Albertus Magnus. On the opposite end, Troup turned aside 10 shots in a losing effort for Saint Joseph's.

Albertus Magnus returns to action on Wednesday, Oct. 7 with a home conference clash against Mount Ida.