Albertus Magnus College
Women's Soccer Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (0-0)
Elms College (0-0)
Fri., Sept. 1 • 7 p.m. • Chicopee, Mass.
Links: LIVE STATS
A NEW YEAR
The Albertus Magnus College women's soccer team kicks off the 2017 season with a non-conference matchup at Elms College on Friday, followed by a Sunday afternoon showdown against Mount Holyoke.
A QUICK LOOK BACK AT LAST YEAR
- It was a record-breaking year in 2016 for the women's soccer team, as new program-bests were set and the team earned it's first-ever berth in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Championship.
- The team saw its season come to an end with a 2-1 setback against top-seeded Lasell in the conference championship.
- The Falcons ended the fall with an 11-8-1 overall record and were the No. 3 seed in the GNAC Tournament thanks to posting a 7-3-1 mark in league play.
- Head Coach and alum Nick Wajnowski earned his 100th career victory in a 7-0 thumping of Suffolk at home in mid-October.
- Wajnowski is the winningest coach in program history and he has been on the bench for 103 of the school's all-time wins.
ALL-TIME VS. ELMS
Elms holds a 2-0 edge over Albertus Magnus in the all-time series.
LAST YEAR VS. ELMS
GAME 1: Elms 2 | Albertus Magnus 0 – RECAP/BOXSCORE
ALL-TIME VS. MOUNT HOLYOKE
Mount Holyoke leads the all-time series over Albertus Magnus, 1-0.
LAST YEAR VS. MOUNT HOLYOKE
GAME 1: Mount Holyoke 1 | Albertus Magnus 0 – RECAP/BOXSCORE
THIS YEAR NOTES
- Albertus Magnus returns one All-GNAC player from last year's team.
- The Falcons welcome 10 newcomers to the club in 2017.
- Head Coach Nick Wajnowski enters the season with a 103-70-20 record, including a 66-38-12 mark in conference play.
- Albertus Magnus returns 10 players from last year's squad.
- The Falcons have made eight straight appearances in the GNAC Tournament.
- Albertus Magnus is in search of its first season-opening win since 2012. Albertus Magnus began that year with a 3-0 blanking of in-state foe Coast Guard at home. Last fall, the team lost 3-0 to Wentworth.
GNAC WOMEN'S SOCCER PRESEASON POLL
LINK: Complete Release
The Albertus Magnus College women's soccer team was picked to finish fifth in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Coaches' Poll.
NOTEWORTHY STATS FROM 2016-17
- The Albertus Magnus defense ranked third in the conference in goals-against average and recorded nine shutouts.
- The team was one of three in the league that allowed less than one goal per game.
PICIRRILLO EARNS NSCAA ALL-NEW ENGLAND HONORS
Women's soccer player Angelina Picirrillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) earned a spot on the 2016 National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) All-New England Team. She becomes the fifth player in program history to earn NSCAA All-New England distinction and the first since teammate Danielle Polvan(East Haven, Conn.) picked up third-team honors in 2014. Piccirillo was one of five Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) players to earn regional recognition this autumn.
POLVAN LEADS THE PROGRAM
Former Falcon standout Danielle Polvan became the school's all-time leader in goals last season. In a non-conference win against Mitchell, she scored four markers to move past Sam Gigliotti '10 and Danielle Figueroa '12 to hold the new school record. During her senior season, she also became the program's all-time leader in points with 85. In conference play, she netted five goals and added three assists for 13 points.
The Falcons return to action next week against Mitchell College and Suffolk University.