New Haven, Conn. – Junior Kerrigan Loughman (Trumbull, Conn.) scored the lone goal of the game for the hosts as the Albertus Magnus College women's soccer team fell in its season opener, 6-1, to Mount Holyoke on Sunday afternoon in non-conference play.
FINAL SCORE: Mount Holyoke 6 | Albertus Magnus 1
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-1) | Mount Holyoke (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Mount Holyoke scored four times in the first 45 minutes of action to put the pressure on the hosts early.
Loughman broke the Falcons' silence at the 57:24 mark as she found the back of the net for her first goal of the season after a nice feed from freshman Sophia Austin (East Hartford, Conn.). Ten minutes later, the Lions pushed their lead back up to four, 5-1, as Sara Sanau Ruiz scored her second goal of the game on a dish from Suz Rose.
Despite trailing the visitors with less than 23 minutes left to play, Albertus Magnus continued to fight back and managed to keep the Lions' defense on their toes, attempting six shots - three of the shots hitting the crossbar. However, Mt. Holyoke would close out the game with the 6-1 road victory, following the final goal from Minerva Veeser-Bobea.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Junior Amanda Manaster made four saves in the win for the Lions while junior Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) stopped six shots in the loss.
- The Bison outshot the Falcons 14-13 for the game – including 12-6 in shots on goal.
- Albertus Magnus held a 5-1 edge in corner kicks.
- Freshman Sophia Austin (East Hartford, Conn.) led the Falcons' offense with four shots and a shot on goal.
- Junior Sara Sanau Ruiz paced the visitors' offense with a team-high two goals while Suz Rose added a team-high two assists.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Wednesday, Sept. 6 at Mitchell. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. Mt. Holyoke returns home on Thursday, Sept. 7 to host Amherst College at 7 p.m.