Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. – Junior Kaitlyn Ellsworth (Tolland, Conn.) scored her first collegiate goal at the 87th minute as the Albertus Magnus College women's soccer team blanked Rivier University, 3-0, Saturday afternoon at Celentano Field in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 3 | Rivier 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-8, 3-6) | Rivier University (3-9, 2-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus controlled the opening half outshooting the Raiders, 9-0, as well as held a 2-0 lead at the half. An own goal from a Rivier player gave the Falcons the early 1-0 lead before Haley Andrews (Prospect, Conn.) found the back of the net for her ninth of the season off a corner kick from senior Kerrigan Loughman (Trumbull, Conn.).
Rivier threatened the Falcons' lead following three shots on goal, but Albertus keeper Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) made all three stops in net. With the clock winding down, Ellsworth would put the game away and seal the win for the hosts, 3-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus held the advantage in shots, 15-5, as well as in corner kicks, 4-1.
- Along with Andrew, senior Morgan Gigliotti (Wolcott, Conn.) recorded a team-high four shots.
- Five different players registered a shot for the Raiders.
- Following today's win, Falcon keeper Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) recorded her first shutout of the season.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus – Lexie Fenn (W, 2-5): 3 Shots on Goal | 0 Goals-Against | 3 Saves | 90 Minutes
- Rivier – Kasey Smith (L, 3-9): 10 Shots on Goal | 3 Goals-Against | 7 Saves | 90 Minutes
The women's soccer team returns to action on Wednesday, Oct. 17 as the Falcons battle in-state rival the University of Saint Joseph's (Conn.). Kick-off is set for 4 p.m. in West Hartford.