Boston, Mass. – The Albertus Magnus College women's soccer team dominated from start to finish and earned its first Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) win of the season against Simmons University by a score of 3-0 on Friday evening at Daly Field. The Falcons were led offensively by Sophia Austin (East Hartford, Conn.) and Katherine Raposo (Warwick, R.I.).
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 3 | Simmons University 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-2, 1-1 GNAC) | Simmons (0-6-1, 0-3 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Raposo put the Falcons on the board with 16:10 gone in the first half when she took a through ball from Andrews and lifted a shot from 20-yards out that found the back of the net for a 1-0 lead.
Albertus added to its advantage less than two minutes later when Austin put away her fifth goal of the season. After a pass from Jordan Kikosicki (East Haven, Conn.), Austin took a hard shot into the far right post giving the visitors a two-goal edge.
Raposo started off the second stanza scoring her second of the game at the 54th-minute. Raposo dribbled into the box to draw the Sharks keeper out and made a move to beat the goalie and score from 10-yards out.
Albertus maintained possession for the remainder of the game and managed to keep the Sharks off the scoreboard to earn is third shutout of the season.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus: Cassidy Scofield (Shelton, Conn.) – 3 Shots on Goal | 0 Goals-Against |3 Saves
- Simmons: Melanie Colman – 12 Shots on Goal | 3 Goals-Against |9 Saves
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus held the advantage in shots, 14-7.
- Simmons won the battle in corner kicks, 3-2.
- Eight different Falcons tallied a shot.
- Lauren Brandau led the Sharks offensively with two shots and one shot on goal.
- Raposo has scored two or more goals on four different occassions.
- Scofield earned her fourth career shutout.
- Kikosicki's assist was her first of the season.
- Freshman Keegan Riccio (West Haven, Conn.) tied her season-high in shot attempts with four.
The women's soccer team returns to action on Wednesday, Sept. 25 with a home GNAC tilt against Johnson & Wales University. Kick-off is set for 6PM at Celentano Field in New Haven, Conn. Simmons returns to action on Saturday, September 28 when it hosts GNAC foe Saint Joseph's College (Maine) at Daly Field.