New Haven, Conn. - Behind a pair of first-half goals, the Albertus Magnus College women's soccer team held on to clip in-state rival University of Saint Joseph, 2-0, on Wednesday night at Celentano Field in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action.
Prior to the start of tonight's match, the women's soccer team honored its three seniors - Cassidy Scofield (Shelton, Conn.), Kaitlyn Ellsworth (Tolland, Conn.) and Sabrina Pohlig (West Palm Beach, Fla.) - for their dedication to the program over their four-year tenure with the squad.
Tonight's win was also a major milestone for Coach Nick Wajnowski and Coach John Adams, who both recorded their 120th career win.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 2 | Univ. of St. Joseph (CT) 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (7-7-1, 4-6-1 GNAC) | Univ. of St. Joseph (CT) (10-5-1, 5-5-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons opened the game's scoring in the 11th minute with a stellar set play. On a free kick, Katherine Raposo (Warwick, R.I.) sent the ball across the box to Haley Andrews (Prospect, Conn.), who calmly headed it past the opposing keeper.
Raposo put the home team up 2-0 with a fantastic individual effort. Just outside the box, the junior beat a double-team and cut back to fire the ball into the lower-right corner into the goal.
The Falcons' backline, along with Scofield, kept the potent Blue Jays' attack off the board for the remainder of the game, despite 11 shot attempts, to secure the home win and a berth in the GNAC Tournament.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus - Cassidy Scofield (W, 6-7-1): 9 Shots on Goal | 0 Goals-Against | 9 Saves
- Univ. of St. Joseph (CT) - Lindsey Montminy (L, 9-6-1): 7 Shots on Goal | 2 Goals-Against | 5 Saves
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- St. Joseph outshot Albertus, 21-13, and won the battle in corner kicks, 9-6.
- Raposo finished the game with three points behind a goal and an assist.
- Keegan Riccio (West Have, Conn.) also served as an offensive threat for Albertus tallying three shot, including two shots on goal.
- Olivia Norton paced the Blue Jays offense with seven shots.
- Both teams combined for 33 fouls.
- Jordan Kikosicki (East Haven, Conn.) and Sophia Austin (East Hartford, Conn.) also tallied a shot each.
- Tonight's win was the team's sixth shutout of the season.
- Raposo ends the regular season with 36 points and 15 goals, which is a new single-season program record, which was originally set by Sam Gigliotti back in 2009.
- Andrews goal was her 10th of the season and 28th point of the year.
With today's result, the Falcons secure the sixth seed and will face Emmanuel (Mass.) in the GNAC Tournament Quarterfinals on Saturday, Nov. 2, in Boston, Mass. The battle between the two programs is TBD.
GNAC TOURNAMENT PREVIEW & SCHEDULE
- This is the Falcons' 12th appearance in the postseason.
- Albertus is 4-8-3 all-time is the GNAC postseason.
Saturday, November 2 - Quarterfinals
Game 1: #8 Regis at #1 JWU - 4PM
Game 2: #5 Lasell at #4 Suffolk - 12PM
Game 3: #6 Albertus Magnus at #3 Emmanuel - TBD (likely 12PM)
Game 4: #7 USJ at #2 Saint Joseph's Maine - TBD (12 OR 3PM)
Tuesday, November 5 - Semifinals (at higher seeds)
Game 5: 4/5 winner vs. 1/8 winner
Game 6: 3/6 winner vs. 2/7 winner
Saturday, November 9 - Championship
Game 7: at the highest seed