New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College women's tennis team won its Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) opener to Mount Ida, 8-1, on Saturday afternoon at the Celentano Courts.
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-1, 1-0) | Mount Ida (1-3, 0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
In doubles play, Albertus Magnus cruised to three victories to take the early lead, 3-0. The Falcons tandem of Nallely Magana (East Haven, Conn.) and Paige Williams (Orange County, Va.) netted the first win of the day with 8-0 victory at No. 3 doubles. The duo of Alicia Weaver (Bethel, Conn.) and Izzy Sabino (Cheshire, Conn.) took the doubles win in the No. 1 slot by a score of 8-1, while Jessica Coughlin (Durham, Conn.) and Kelsea Wildman (Hamden, Conn.) raced past their opponent, 8-1, at No. 2.
In singles action, Albertus Magnus won five out of the six matches, including a pair of shutout wins by Williams and Magana at No. 6 and No. 5 singles. Coughlin would extend the Falcons' lead to 6-0 after posting a 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 2, but Weaver fell in No. 1 singles to Ginger Boodakian by a score of 7-5, 6-1.
Sabino and Wildman would recorded the final two wins for the Falcons in No. 3 and No. 4 singles.
1. Ginger Boodakian (IDA) def. Alicia Weaver (AMC) 7-5, 6-1
2. Jessica Coughlin (AMC) def. Molly O'Donnell (IDA) 6-4, 6-1
3. Izzy Sabino (AMC) def. Cierra Peaslee (IDA) 6-1, 6-1
4. Kelsea Wildman (AMC) def. Yuliana Chairez (IDA) 6-2, 6-1
5. Nallely Magana (AMC) def. Amanda Garner (IDA) 6-0, 6-0
6. Paige Williams (AMC) def. Kelsey Wallace (IDA) 6-0, 6-0
1. Alicia Weaver/Izzy Sabino (AMC) def. Ginger Boodakian/Molly O'Donnell (IDA) 8-1
2. Jessica Coughlin/Kelsea Wildman (AMC) def. Cierra Peaslee/Yuliana Chairez (IDA) 8-1
3. Nallely Magana/Paige Williams (AMC) def. Amanda Garner/Kelsey Wallace (IDA) 8-0
Albertus Magnus return to action next week against Johnson & Wales and Simmons. Next week, Mount Ida travels to Suffolk University for a GNAC clash before facing Eastern Nazarene in non-conference play.