New Haven, Conn. – Behind two double-digit performances, including a career-high 12 kills from freshman Genesis Cora Luquis (Meriden, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's volleyball team improved to 2-2 on the season as the Falcons' defeated CCNY in straight sets on Tuesday evening in non-conference action.
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-2) | CCNY (1-2)
MATCH FINAL: Albertus Magnus 3 | CCNY 0
MATCH SCORES: 25-9 (AMC), 25-18 (AMC) and 25-15 (AMC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Led behind a team-high five kills from Cora Luquis, Albertus Magnus went on to defeat the Beavers in set one, 25-9, to take the early 1-0 lead.
Albertus Magnus continued to dominate in set two opening the frame with the early 11-2 until the visitors brought the score to within two, 13-11, following a 9-2 run. The Falcons slowly began building momentum and found themselves up 2-0 after taking set two by a score of 25-18.
The Falcons opened up the final frame with a 5-1 run, but a service error by the hosts gave CCNY the spark needed to start a short spurt and cut the lead to within one, 6-5. Sophomore Ashley David (West Islip, N.Y.) gave the hosts' a five-point cushion, 16-11, before the hosts to the final set and match, 25-15.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Albertus Magnus dominated on offense racking up 33 kills as well as hit .205 at the net.
- CCNY recorded only eight kills over the three sets.
- Yana Shaposhnikoua and Camila Franco-Diaz led the visitors at the net with three kills a piece.
- Cora Luquis and sophomore Ashley David (West Islip, N.Y.) posted in double-figures for the Falcons, tallying 12 and 11 kills, respectively.
- Senior Ana Gomez (New Haven, Conn.) recorded the Falcons' only block of the game.
CAREER HIGH NOTES
- Cora Luquis (Meriden, Conn.) set a new career-high in kills with 12.
The Falcons return to action on Thursday, Sept. 7th at Newbury. First serve is set for 7 p.m. in Brookline, Mass. CCNY returns home on Saturday, Sept. 9 as the team hosts York (N.Y.) and Hunter.