New London, Conn. – Freshman Genesis Cora Luquis (Meriden, Conn.) and senior Nicole Beard (Shelton, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College women's volleyball team recorded a pair of double-doubles as the Falcons swept in-state foe Mitchell College, 3-0, in straight sets on Tuesday evening in non-conference action.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (12-10) | Mitchell (0-13)
SET SCORES: 25-18 (AMC), 25-13 (AMC), 25-23 (AMC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus held the early 1-0 edge over the Marineers entering set two after the Falcons took the opening set, 25-18. Albertus Magnus never trailed in the second set and broke things open behind a 13-3 run midway through the stanza. Keller contributed half of her team's 14 kills in the set as the Falcons grabbed the 2-0 lead. Mitchell threatened the visitors in the third set as hosts chipped away at the deficit and eventually tied the game at 22-22 on a kill by Sweeney, but in the end the Falcons got kills from Luquis and Jesselle Guzman (Santa Teresa, N.M.) to close out the match.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Cora Luquis recorded her 10th double-double of the season, 10 kills and 11 digs, to go along with three service aces and a block.
- Beard tallied a double-double as well for the Falcons as the setter assisted 28 kills and recorded a team-high 14 digs.
- Along with Cora Luquis, freshman Kimberly Keller (Bridgeport, Conn.) registered a team-high 10 kills.
- Ariana Carter led the hosts with a team-high seven kills and three blocks.
- Mitchell's Courtney Cappabianca chipped in with a match-high 15 digs, while Lauren Tompkins contributed 10 assists.
- The Falcons won the battle at the net in set two with a 14 kill performance.
- Mitchell recorded a negative hitting percentage in both the first and second set.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Thursday, Oct. 12th at Staten Island University. The non-conference match is set for 6 p.m. in New York. Mitchell will next play at Connecticut College on Wednesday, October 11 at 7 p.m.