New Haven, Conn. - Senior Nicole Beard (Shelton, Conn.) posted a double-double of 19 assists and 17 digs to lead the Albertus Magnus College women's volleyball team over visiting Saint Joseph's (Conn.), 3-0, Wednesday evening in conference play.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (14-12, 2-7) | St. Joseph's (Conn.) (4-16, 0-9)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus opened the first set with the quick 7-1 lead before finding themselves ahead by nine, 20-10, following an attack error by the Blue Jays. The visitors rallied together a short spurt to cut the lead within five, but the hosts secured the win, 25-18.
Saint Joseph's (Conn.) threatened the hosts in set two and took its first lead of the match, 11-10. However, the Falcons came together as a team and took set two from the Blue Jays, 25-19.
The third and final set was similar to set two as the visitors kept within arms reach of the hosts, but the Falcons were secure the sweep, 25-18.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Albertus Magnus finished the match with a .173 hitting percentage behind a total of 34 kills.
- Sophomore Ashley David (West Islip, N.Y.) paced the Falcons' offense with a team-high 12 kills.
- Sophomore Jesselle Guzman (Santa Teresa, N.M.) led the team in service aces with five.
- The Blue Jays won the defensive battle at the net posting 12 total blocks, compared to the Falcons two by freshman Kimberly Keller (Bridgeport, Conn.).
- Jasmine Buckley led the visitors with eight kills, two service aces and eight digs.
- Torrie Epps and Hannah Lemek recorded a team-high four blocks.
The Falcons return to the court on Friday, Oct. 20 as the team takes on Norwich University and Mount Ida College in a GNAC tri-match beginning at 4 p.m. in Northfield, Vt.