Northfield, Vt. - The Albertus Magnus College women's volleyball team split a pair of Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) matches to Norwich University and Mount Ida College on Friday evening. The Falcons took the opening set, 3-1, but fell to the Mustangs in the night cap, 3-0.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (15-13, 3-8) | Norwich (9-13, 1-8) | Mount Ida (18-9, 5-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED - Match 1 (AMC 3, Norwich 1)
Down by five, 20-14, Albertus Magnus rallied together a short spurt to cut the Cadets' lead to one, 21-20, forcing the hosts to call a timeout. Norwich came out of the break scoring a point, but the Falcons would close out the set with a 5-0 run to take the 1-0 lead heading into set two.
Norwich would tie the match at 1-1 following a 25-22 second set win, despite Albertus Magnus tying the frame at 22-22.
The Falcons took the next two sets from the hosts, 25-17 and 25-16, to secure the road victory and improve to 3-7 in the conference.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Freshman Genesis Cora Luquis (Meriden, Conn.) recorded a double-double, 10 kills and 16 digs,to go along with four aces and a block.
- Michele Zummo paced the Cadets' offense with 11 kills, 10 digs, a block assist and an ace.
- The Falcons held a 36-35 edge in kills, but the hosts won the defensive battle at the net, registering 11 blocks.
- Senior Nicole Beard (Shelton, Conn.) assisted 24 kills as well as tallied six digs, an ace and two kills.
- Albertus Magnus registered 10 or more kills in two of the four sets.
HOW IT HAPPENED - Match 2 (Mount Ida 3, AMC 0)
Behind a 10-kill performance and a .172 hitting percentage, Mount Ida took set one from the Falcons, 25-17.
It was a offensive battle between Albertus Magnus and Mount Ida in set two as both teams battled through 12 ties until a 3-0 spurt by the Mustangs sealed the win, 28-26.
Similar to the last set, both teams fought valiantly for lead, but Albertus Magnus fell short in the final set, 25-22.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Mary Kate Reidy and Alexis Bell recorded a pair of double-doubles for the Mustangs.
- Cora Luquis led the Falcons' offense with eight kills, while Beard recorded a double-double, 22 assists and 17 digs.
- Four different players registered two aces a piece for the Falcons.
- A trio of players registered in double figures in digs, including a team-high 16 from Alexis Bell.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Saint Joseph's (L.I.) and Emmanuel (Mass.).