Standish, Me. - The Albertus Magnus College women's volleyball team closed out Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play with an overall record of 3-9 as the Falcons fell to Rivier University and Saint Joseph's College of Maine in a conference tri-match Saturday afternoon at the Harold Alfond Center.
MATCH 1 FINAL: Rivier 3 | Albertus Magnus 0
MATCH 2 FINAL: Saint Joseph's College of Maine 3 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (11-14, 3-9) | Rivier University (22-6, 10-1)| Saint Joseph's College of Maine (9-15, 4-6)
MATCH 1 - vs. RIVIER
Set One: Rivier 25 | Albertus 14
- Rivier opened set one with a six-point lead, 10-4.
- A kill from Genesis Cora Luquis (Meriden, Conn.) brought the Falcons till within five, 15-10.
- The Raiders closed out set one on a 10-4 run sparked by an attack error by Albertus.
Set Two: Rivier 25 | Albertus 15
- Albertus threatened Rivier in set two cutting the lead to within two, 12-10, following a kill from Summer Onorato (East Haven, Conn.).
- A kill from Emma Soucy sparked a 7-1 run to put the Raiders up, 19-12.
- Rivier closed out the set with a 6-3 run to extend its lead, 2-0, entering the third.
Set Three: Rivier 25 | Albertus 14
- The Falcons took their first lead of the match, 4-3, following a kill from Cora Luquis.
- After battling through five ties, Rivier claimed the final set, 25-14.
MATCH 1 - TEAM HIGHS
- Vanessa Isyk (Meriden, Conn.) - 10 Kills
- Jaiden Williams (Orange, Conn.) - 15 Assists
- Genesis Cora Luquis - 2 Aces
- Jaiden Williams - 8 Digs
- Three Players - 1 Block
- Taylor Dunster - 11 Kills
- Hayley Macken - 30 Assists
- Leah Giampietro - 6 Aces
- Taylor Dunster - 9 Digs
- Emma Soucy - 3 Blocks
MATCH 2 - vs. SAINT JOSEPH'S (ME.)
Set One: Saint Joseph's 25 | Albertus 18
- Down by six, Albertus rallied together a 5-0 run to cut the Monks' lead to one, 12-11.
- Saint Joseph's began to pull away with the lead, 21-14, before claiming set one, 25-18.
Set Two: Saint Joseph's 25 | Albertus 22
- Albertus continued to threaten the Monks as the Falcons kept within arms reach, but the hosts rallied together s short spurt to extend its lead to 21-17.
- The Falcons cut the Monks' lead to within two, 24-22, on a kill from Maria Vazquez (Hamden, Conn.), but the comeback fell short for the visitors.
Set Three: Saint Joseph's 25 | Albertus 19
- It was an evenly matched third set between Albertus and Saint Joseph's, but a rally by the Monks put themselves up 23-14.
- Albertus battled back to within four, 23-19, but was unable to secure the comeback.
MATCH 2 - TEAM HIGHS
- Genesis Cora Luquis - 10 Kills
- Jaiden Williams - 21 Assists
- Jaiden Williams - 2 Aces
- Jesselle Guzman (El Paso, Tx.) - 21 Digs
Saint Joseph's (Me.):
- Kelsey Bureau - 15 Kills
- Sarah Dyer - 22 Assists
- Kelsey Bickford - 3 Aces
- Jenelle Thompson - 26 Digs
- Sarah Dyer and Sarah Quinn - 2 Blocks
MATCH 2 - DOUBLE-DOUBLES
- Sophia Randall - 14 assists and 11 digs
The women's volleyball team returns to action on Tuesday, October 23 as the Falcons travel to Willimantic, Conn. to take on Eastern Connecticut State University. The non-conference match is set for 7 p.m.