Link: Box Score
Danbury, Conn. - Senior point guard Ryan Pittman (Stratford, CT) snagged the loose ball after a teammate's shot was blocked and lofted a floater from the paint into the net at the buzzer, giving the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team a thrilling 85-84 win over Bowdoin College at the Colonial Classic hosted by Western Connecticut State University on Friday night.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus College 85 | Bowdoin College 84
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus College (2-1) | Bowdoin (0-1)
ALL-TIME SERIES RECORD: Following tonight's win, Albertus is now 1-0 against Bowdoin in the all-time series.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Albertus started off the game hot scoring five straight unanswered points, including three from Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.), before finding themselves up seven, 12-5, forcing Bowdoin to call a timeout.
- Over the next five minutes, Albertus saw its lead grow to 13, 23-10, following an 11-5 run that included three straight three-pointers from Davon Warner (New Haven, Conn.)
- Down 13, 25-12, Bowdoin battled back to within eight, 25-17, as Sam Grad scoring five straight points behind a three and a made layup.
- Shortly after, Albertus found its rhythm pushing its lead back up to double-digits 34-21 with 7:08 left on the clock.
- For the remainder of the half, Albertus maintained its lead and would enter the half up 13, 51-38.
- Down by 17, 55-38, with 18:42 remaining, Bowdoin went on a 13-0 scoring run to bring the score to within four, 55-51.
- Bowdoin continued to keep the Falcons' lead to within five until a jumper from Pittman put his team up nine, 69-60, at the 9:26 mark.
- Albertus saw its lead start to dwindle as a three from David Reynolds brough Bowdoin to within a basket, 76-73.
- Bowdoin's David Reynolds drained a three-pointer from the top of the key cutting the deficit to 81-80 with 1:20 remaining.
- Shortly thereafter, Jack Simonds canned an elbow jumper, giving the Polar Bears their first lead of the game, 82-81, with 34 seconds left on the clock.
- The Falcons retaliated to regain the lead when Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, CT) hit the jumper.
- Bowdoin bounced back when Zavier Rucker scurried down the lane for a runner to seize an 84-83 lead with six second left.
- Perkins had clear lane for a layup but the shot was blocked and deflected off a scrum into the hands of Pittman, who sealed the win at the buzzer.
- Ryan Pittman - 18 points (8-18 FG, 1-4 3-PT, 1-4 FT) | 6 rebounds | 3 assists | 1 steal
- Davon Warner - 15 points (5-9 FG, 5-9 3-PT) | 2 rebounds
- Terry Dawkins (Queens, N.Y.) - 12 points (5-14 FG, 3-10 3-PT, 4-4 FT) | 9 rebounds (team-high) | 1 steal
- Jahmerikah Green-Younger - 12 points (2-5 FG, 2-5 3-PT, 2-2 FT) | 1 rebound | 1 assist) | 2 steals
- Zavier Rucker - 11 points | 2 rebounds | 6 assists | 2 blocks
- Jack Simonds - 13 points | 9 rebounds | 2 assists
- David Reynolds - 26 points | 6 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Hugh O'Neil - 11 points | 6 rebounds | 1 steal
- Sam Grad - 18 points | 7 rebounds | 1 assist | 3 blocks
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus - 40.3% FG | 40% 3-Point | 68% FT
- Bowdoin - 53.3% FG | 45% 3-Point | 68.8% FT
- Bowdoin outscored Albertus in the second half, 46-34, while shooting an impressive 60 percent from the field.
- The Falcons won the battle on the boards, 43-35 as well as scored 24 second chance points compared to the Polar Bears' eight.
- The Polar Bears dominated in the paint, 40-28.
- Albertus scored 15 of its points off Bowdoin 15 errors.
The men's basketball team returns to action on Saturday, Nov. 17 as the Falcons face Western Connecticut State University in the championship game of the Colonial Classic. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m.