Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. – Junior Damian Grant (Waterbury, Conn.) was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Tournament Most Valuable Player as he tallied a team-high 21 points, eight rebounds, a steal and a block as the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team knocked off the University of Saint Joseph's (CT), 81-77, on Saturday afternoon in the 2019 GNAC Tournament Championship at "The Nest".
Grant and Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) clinched the game for the Falcons with a back-to-back layups in the final 22 seconds of play to give the Falcons the four-point lead.
- The Falcons improve their all-time postseason record to 33-11.
- This is the Falcons' eighth GNAC Championship title.
- The Falcons are 2-0 against St. Joseph's this year.
- The Falcons earn their seventh trip to the NCAA tournament.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus College 81 | St. Joseph's 77
RECORDS: #1 Albertus Magnus (20-7) | #7 St. Joseph's (16-12)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons were down 2-0 early, but Grant contributed a lay-up, an offensive rebound, and a free throw to give the Falcons a 3-2 lead.
- Albertus and St. Joseph's battled back-and-forth before Andrew Rice (West Haven, Conn.) made a pair of free throws to give the Falcons a 14-13 lead.
- Albertus continued to run its offense as junior Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) nailed a fade-away jumper to give the Falcons a 30-29 lead with 5:58 remaining in the half.
- A couple of late fouls allowed the Blue Jays to regain the lead, but the Falcons took it in stride and scored some quick points to cut the deficit.
- With the Falcons trailing late in the first half, 39-33, freshman Terry Dawkins (Queens, N.Y.) made a pair of free throws and contributed a lay-up to bring the Falcons to within seven at the half, 44-37.
- Junior Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) started off the second half on a five-point run to bring the Falcons to within two, 44-42.
- Trailing by two, 54-52, seven minutes in, freshman Davon Warner (New Haven, Conn.) drained a deep three to give the Falcons a 55-54 lead.
- Less than a minute later, Warner struck again hitting another three, extending the Falcons's lead to four, 58-54, with 12:36 on the clock.
- Senior Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) hit a jumper, extending the Falcons' lead to four, 64-60, but a four-point play from Ryan O'Neil evened the score once again, 64-64.
- With less than five minutes remaining, the Falcons lost the lead, 68-64, on a jump shot from St. Joseph's Chris Childs.
- Back-to-back baskets from Rice and Warner erased the four-point deficit and regained the lead for the hosts, 69-68.
- A couple of late fouls by St. Joseph's gave the Falcons a 75-70 lead with three minutes remaining.
- Grant and Green-Younger contributed three lay-ups between them and a rebound in the final minute to give the Falcons an 81-77 victory.
- Damian Grant – 21 points (9-13 FG, 0-1 3 PT) | 8 rebounds | 1 steal | 1 block
- Jahmerikah Green-Younger – 12 points (4-10 FG, 0-2 3PT, 4-4 FT) | 2 rebounds| 2 steals
- Davon Warner – 11 points, (4-16 FG, 3-13 3 PT) | 1 rebound | 1 steal
- Ryan Pittman – 10 points, (3-4 FG, 1-1 3 PT, 3-3 FT) | 5 rebounds| 1 steal | 7 assists | 1 block
- Tyreek Perkins – 10 points (4-16 FG, 0-3 FG, 2-2 FT) | 2 rebounds | 4 assists
- Delshawn Jackson Jr. – 23 points |4 rebounds| 1 steal | 1 assist
- Chris Childs – 22 points | 3 rebounds | 4 assists
- Sam Majek – 10 points | 6 rebounds | 1 assist
GNAC ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
- Emmitt Riddick – Emmanuel
- Chris Childs – Saint Joseph's (CT)
- Delshawn Jackson Jr. – Saint Joseph's (CT)
- Ryan Pittman – Albertus Magnus
- Tyreek Perkins – Albertus Magnus
- Damian Grant – Albertus Magnus (MVP)
With the win, Albertus earns a spot in the Division III NCAA Tournament. The Falcons will find out who they will face in the first-round during the Division III Selection Show on Monday, Feb.25th.