Link: Box Score
Newport News, Va. - Despite a career-high 19 points from freshman Terry Dawkins (Bronx, N.Y.), the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team saw its season come to an end on Friday evening, falling to Christopher Newport University, 85-59, in the First Round of the NCAA Division III Tournament.
FINAL SCORE: Christopher Newport 85 | Albertus Magnus College 59
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (20-8) | Christopher Newport (26-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior Damian Grant (Waterbury, Conn.) gave the Falcons their first lead of the game, 2-1, on a pair of made free throws two minutes in.
- Albertus and CNU exchanged baskets until five straight points from Andrew Rice (West Haven, Conn.) gave the visitors a three-point cushion, 9-6.
- CNU evened the score, 9-9, at the 15:59 mark before going on a 9-0 scoring run to push its leads to 18-9.
- Dawkins snapped the Captains' scoring run with a pair of made free throws and went on to score the next four points to bring the visitors to within seven, 23-15.
- Two minutes later, CNU pushed its lead to double-digits, 25-15, on a pair of free throws from Dalon McHugh before finding themselves up 17, 34-17, after putting together a 9-2 run.
- CNU continued to score and took its biggest lead of the half, 45-22, at the 1:54 mark.
- Albertus would head into halftime trailing CNU 48-27.
- Junior Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) opened the second half scoring his first basket of the night on a layup after pulling down the defensive rebound 40 seconds in.
- Soon after, CNU found themselves up 63-36 with 12:47 left to play after putting together a 16-6 run that was sparked by layup from Marcus Carter.
- With the clock winding down, CNU continued to control the momentum of the game and built its lead to 30, 83-53, with 2:23 left in regulation.
- For the remaining of the game, Albertus Magnus could only play catch-up as the Falcons fell in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Terry Dawkins – 19 Points (7-13 FG, 0-1 3PT, 5-6 FT) | 5 rebounds | 2 assists
- Tyreek Perkins – 8 Points (3-6 FG, 1-2 3PT, 1-2 FT) | 1 rebound | 1 steal
- Davon Warner (New Haven, Conn.) – 7 Points (3-5 FG, 1-2 3PT) | 3 rebounds | 1 steal
- Marcus Carter – 15 Points | 10 rebounds | 3 assists | 2 blocks
- Jason Aigner – 14 Points | 4 rebounds | 3 assists | 1 steal
- Dalon McHugh – 12 points | 6 rebounds | 1 block
- Cutch Ellis – 10 points | 5 rebounds | 3 assists | 1 steal
- The Falcons conclude the 2018-19 season with an overall record of 20-8 and a conference mark of 9-2.
- Albertus captured its eighth Great Northeast Athletic Conference Championship, defeating seventh-seeded University of Saint Joseph's, 81-77.
- This was the Falcons seventh NCAA Tournament appearance.
- Christopher Newport will move on the second round of the NCAA Tournament and will face Alfred University tomorrow night at 7 p.m.