Frederick, Md. - The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team opened the 2019-20 season with an 87-78 loss to the University of Lynchburg as part of the MMI Tip-off Tournament hosted by Hood College on Friday evening in non-conference play.
FINAL: University of Lynchburg 87 | Albertus Magnus 78
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-1) | Lynchburg (1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus opened the game with a 12-4 run behind five points from junior Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.), forcing Lynchburg to call its first timeout of the game at 14:47. The Falcons maintained their lead over the Hornets and took a 21-13 lead halfway through the first half.
Lynchburg slowly began building momentum on offense and evened the score at 27-27 following a three-pointer from Chance Greene. With 3:33 remaining the first, Albertus tied the game, 37-37, on a made free throw from Qualon Wilkes (Bridgeport, Conn.), but a three from Kavon James put the Hornets back on top, 40-37. Lynchburg closed out the first half with a five-point lead, 47-42.
Coming out of the break, Lynchburg opened up an 11-point lead after a Tharon Suggs 3-pointer, but solid defensive work from the Falcons held the Hornets scoreless over the next 4:30.
With 13:31 left to play, freshman Marquan Watson (Waterbury, Conn.) evened the game at 55-55 and the Falcons continued to lead with 5:30 left in the second half. However, a 3-point jumper from Suggs put Lynchburg up, 72-70, and the Hornets never trailed again.
- Marquan Watson - 16 points (7-13 FG, 0-1 3pt, 2-5 FT) | 7 rebounds | 1 steal | 2 blocks
- Tyreek Perkins - 14 points (4-12 FG, 2-7 3pt, 4-6 FT) | 6 rebounds | 1 steal
- Andrew Rice (West Haven, Conn.) - 9 points (2-4 FG, 1-1 3pt, 4-6 FT) | 5 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal | 1 block
- Davon Warner (New Haven, Conn.) - 9 points (4-9 FG, 1-4 3pt) | 1 rebound | 1 assist | 2 steals
- Isaiah Lewis (New Haven, Conn.) - 9 points (4-10 FG, 1-3 3pt, 0-1 FT) | 1 rebound | 1 steal
- Tharon Suggs - 19 points (7-14 FG, 3-4 3pt, 2-2 FT) | 2 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Chance Greene - 19 points (4-10 FG, 2-7 3pt, 9-12 FT) | 3 rebounds | 7 assists
- T.C. Thacker - 18 points (8-15 FG, 0-1 3pt, 2-2 FT) | 17 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal | 2 blocks
The men's basketball team returns to the court on Saturday, Nov. 9 as the Falcons face Southern Virginia University in the consolation game of the MMI Tip-off Tournament at 1:00PM.