NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Freshman Jon Olson (Merrick, N.Y.) scored his first collegiate goal in the Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey team's 4-1 home setback to Post University on Monday evening at the Ralph Walker Skating Rink.
FINAL: Post 4 | Albertus Magnus 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-3-2) | Post (2-3-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Eagles got on the board first in a hard-fought first period. After Niko Grollman stole possession of the puck at center ice, William Francis skated to the front of the net and beat Albertus' starting goalie Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta). That was the lone goal allowed by Diamond in the first period, as he made 16 stops over the first 20 minutes.
The game swung in favor of Post in the second period, as the Eagles took advantage of a barrage of penalties called on the Falcons. The Eagles tallied two power-play scores over an almost six-minute stretch to take a commanding 3-0 lead. Jake Raleigh scored first, while Anthony Giacomin netted the team's third goal. Albertus finished the period with six penalties, compared to zero for Post.
Despite trailing by three goals, the Falcons did not give up, cutting the deficit to 3-1 with a third-period tally. Olson recorded his first collegiate goal at the 12:01 mark of the frame while Albertus was on the power play. Coleton Cianci (Kirkland, Quebec) and Adam Scholz (Waterdown, Ontario) both earned an assist on the Olson strike.
The Falcons came out in the third period with an attacking attitude, tallying 12 shots to the Eagles' nine. Unfortunately for Albertus, this increased pressure only resulted in the one goal, as it was resigned to take the home loss. The Falcons' comeback was smothered by a pair of penalties in the final four minutes, which led to a power-play score for Post on an empty net, sealing a 4-1 final score.
Diamond was again stellar for the Falcons, allowing just the one even-strength score with 28 saves over 40 minutes. In his collegiate debut in net, Thomas Walker (Spotswood, N.J.) did not let up a goal and made eight saves during the third period.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Pierce Diamond (L, 0-3-2): Shots on Goal 31 | Goals-Against 3 | Saves 28 | 40:00 Minutes
Thomas Walker: Shots on Goal 8 | Goals-Against 0 | Saves 8 | 18:46 Minutes
Post - Brandon Brown (W, 2-2-1): Shots on Goal 30 | Goals-Against 1 | Saves 29 | 59:55 Minutes
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Eagles ended the game with a 40-30 advantage in shots.
• Albertus was called for 10 penalties for a combined 31 minutes in the box, while Post served just eight minutes on four penalties.
• Albertus went 1-for-4 (.250) on the power play and 3-for-10 (.300) on the penalty kill.
• In total, 15 different Falcons recorded a shot in tonight's game.
• Owen Allan (Ancaster, Ontario), Matthew Capisciolto (Russell, Ontario) and Charles Risk (Medicine Hat, Alberta) paced Albertus with four shots each.
• Giacomin (1G-1A) and Lucas Smith (2A) led all players with two points apiece.
• Albertus is now 0-2-1 to start the home portion of its schedule.
• The Falcons have scored at least one goal in every game this season.
• Olson's goal is the first of his young career.
• Scholz's assist is his first career point.
• Walker made eight saves in his collegiate debut in goal for the Falcons.
• Before tonight, Albertus had allowed just two power-play goals all season.
The Falcons bring an end to its season-long four-game homestand tomorrow evening with a 7 p.m. tilt against Connecticut College at the Ralph Walker Skating Rink.