WILKES-BARRE, Pa. – Jacob Ducharme (Derby Line, Vt.) scored the first short-handed goal of the season for Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey in the Falcons' 6-1 road loss to Wilkes University on Saturday afternoon in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
FINAL: Wilkes 6 | Albertus Magnus 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-5-2) | Wilkes (6-1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Colonels, who have won six straight games and are the leaders in the highly-competitive United Collegiate Hockey Conference (UCHC), got off to a quick start, scoring twice in the first period. Donald Flynn tallied a power-play strike 9:34 into the contest to put the home team up 1-0, the first of three goals for the sophomore. Tyler Barrow extended the Falcons' deficit to 2-0 with a goal just over four minutes later.
The second period mirrored the first, as Wilkes scored twice in the middle of the frame. Again, Flynn opened the period's scoring, while Nick Fea put the home team up 4-0 at the 9:50 mark.
Trailing 5-0 in the third period, Albertus got on the board for the first time with the aforementioned goal by Ducharme. The freshman poked the puck away from a Colonels' attacker and streaked down the ice alone to find daylight through the opposing keeper's legs. Ducharme has scored in back-to-back games for the Falcons and is tied with Cameron Weitzman (Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec) and Charles Risk (Medicine Hat, Alberta) for the team lead in goals with two.
Unfortunately for Albertus, Flynn sealed both his hat trick and the 6-1 final score with a goal at the 14:51 mark of the third period to bring an end to the game's scoring.
Between the pipes for Albertus, Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta) made 32 saves on 38 shots in a complete-game effort. Diamond has made 30-plus stops in all but one game this season and is up to 239 saves on the year.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Pierce Diamond (L, 0-5-2): Shots on Goal 38 | Goals-Against 6 | Saves 32
Wilkes - Brandon Gordon (W, 1-1-0): Shots on Goal 21 | Goals-Against 1 | Saves 20
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Wilkes held a 38-21 lead in shots over Albertus.
• Both teams stayed out of penalty trouble, with the Colonels committing just two infractions and Albertus being whistled for four.
• The Falcons posted a 1-for-4 (.250) mark on the penalty kill and a 0-for-2 day on the power play.
• Alexander Lazier (Pointe-Claire, Quebec) led the Albertus with four shots.
• In total, 12 Falcons tallied a shot.
• Wilkes' Danny Reidel paced all players with seven shots.
• Flynn logged his hat trick on five shots.
• Albertus falls to 0-2-1 on the season on the road.
• Ducharme tied Weitzman and Risk for the team lead in goals with two.
• Ducharme's short-handed goal is the first for the Falcons on the year.
• Ducharme is tied for second on the team with three points on two goals and one assist.
The Falcons continue road play on Saturday, Nov. 30, with a 1 p.m. tilt against Bowdoin College. The bout will be played in Waterville, Maine, as a part of the Bowdoin-Colby Classic.