BRUNSWICK, Maine – Joseph Onorato (Johns Creek, Ga.) scored his first collegiate goal for Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey in a 6-3 Falcons' setback to Colby College on Sunday afternoon in Brunswick, Maine.
FINAL: Colby 6 | Albertus Magnus 3
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-7-2) | Colby (3-3-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Colby opened the contest's scoring in the first period with a pair of goals. Justin Grillo scored first just 30 seconds into the bout, while Brendan Murphy put the Mules up 2-0 at the 4:14 mark.
The Falcons found new life in the second period, tying the game at 2-2 with a pair of goals in the first 3:09. Cameron Weitzman (Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec) tallied Albertus' first goal on the power play. Alexander Lazier (Pointe-Claire, Quebec) riffled a shot wide of the net that bounced off the boards to Weitzman, who beat the opposing goalie to the right post. Weitzman now leads the team with three goals on the season.
Owen Allan (Ancaster, Ontario) was next to get on the scoreboard, finding the back of the net at the 3:09 mark. Charles Risk (Medicine Hat, Alberta) fed Allan in the middle of the zone, where he wristed a shot by the keeper for his second goal of the year.
Albertus' new-found momentum was short-lived, however, as the Mules retook the lead, 3-2, at the 6:01 mark of the second period. Carter Breitenfeldt scored the goal, the first of his three on the day. Colby netted two more goals in the second and one in the third to take a commanding 6-2 advantage.
The Falcons cut the deficit to 6-3 with Onorato's first career goal at the 7:40 mark of the third period. Jon Olson (Merrick, N.Y.) dished out the primary assist on the Onorato score, while Harley Michaels (Kirkland, Quebec) notched the secondary helper.
Between the pipes, Hunter Virostek (Turner Valley, Alberta) started and played the first period in his first collegiate appearance. Virostek logged six saves on eight shots on goal. Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta) played the final two periods and registered 22 saves.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Hunter Virostek: Shots on Goal 8 | Goals-Against 2 | Saves 6
Pierce Diamond (L, 0-7-2): Shots on Goal 26 | Goals-Against 4 | Saves 22
Colby - Andrew Tucci (W, 2-3-0): Shots on Goal 27 | Goals-Against 3 | Saves 24
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Colby owned a 34-27 advantage in shots in the contest.
• The two teams combined for 15 penalties and 46 minutes in the box.
• Albertus went 1-for-5 (.200) on the power play and 4-for-6 (.667) on the penalty kill.
• In total, 13 different Falcons registered a shot today.
• Allan paced Albertus with six shots on the afternoon.
• Breitenfeldt led all players with three goals and seven shots.
• Two of Colby's goals today were short-handed.
• Albertus' three goals today are the second-most its posted in a game this year.
• The Falcons fall to 0-3 against NESCAC schools.
• Onorato's goal is the first of his career.
• Weitzman paces the team with three goals this year.
• Allan is up to two goals in 2019.
• Virostek made his first collegiate appearance today.
• Risk and Olson's assists today are their first of the season.
The Falcons return home for the first time in December this Friday with a 7 p.m. tilt against Wesleyan University (Conn.) at the Ralph Walker Skating Rink.