NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey team concluded the 2019 portion of its schedule with a 9-0 loss to SUNY Canton Saturday evening at the Ralph Walker Skating Rink.
FINAL: SUNY Canton 9 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-9-2) | SUNY Canton (6-3-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Kangaroos got on the board first in tonight's game, finding the back of the net 10:50 into the contest. Jesse Farabee cashed in on a Max Routledge pass to put the road team up 1-0. Matthew Headland scored under two minutes later to make the score 2-0, while Sean David capped off the first period with a short-handed tally with 16 seconds left in the frame to send the Falcons into the first intermission down 3-0.
Canton did not let up its pressure in the second period, scoring four times to take a 7-0 advantage into the third. Headland recorded his second of the day in the second, while AJ D'Orazio, Tyson Bruce and Noah Robinson all tallied their first goals of the evening. The Roos added two more goals in the third to take a 9-0 road win. Robinson scored both goals in the third, giving him the hat trick on the night.
Despite taking the shutout, the Falcons did have their chances, as they outshot the Roos by a 42-38 margin. The best of Albertus' opportunities ended up finding the post, as both Jacob Ducharme (Derby Line, Vt.) and Zachary Withington (Branford, Conn.) came perilously close to getting on the score sheet. Owen Allan (Ancaster, Ontario) led all players with eight shots in the game.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta) (L, 0-9-2): Shots on Goal 10 | Goals-Against 3 | Saves 7 | 20:00
Thomas Walker (Spotswood, N.J.): Shots on Goal 28 | Goals-Against 6 | Saves 22 | 40:00
SUNY Canton - Michael Cerasuolo (W, 3-2-1): Shots on Goal 42 | Goals-Against 0 | Saves 42
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Falcons outshot the Roos by a 42-38 margin.
• Canton scored on its first power-play opportunity of the evening, going 1-for-5 for the game.
• Albertus went 0-for-9 with an extra man.
• The Falcons were whistled for eight penalties for 30 minutes in the box, while The Roos served 61 minutes on 14 infractions.
• Allan led all players with eight shots in the game.
• Robinson and Headland paced all skaters with three points each.
• The Falcons drop to 0-5-1 at home on the year.
• Albertus has outshot its last two opponents.
• The Falcons' nine goals allowed are the most given up by the team this year.
The Falcons will have almost a month off for the holiday break, as they will not play again until Friday, Jan. 3. Albertus will face UMass-Boston at 1 p.m. at the 55th-Annual Codfish Bowl Tournament in Boston, Mass.