NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey team continued to make history tonight, as the Falcons bested Western New England University by a 4-2 final score to capture the program's first-ever home win at the Ralph Walker Skating Rink.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 4 | Western New England 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-10-2) | Western New England (3-8-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Following a hard-fought scoreless first period, the Falcons got out to a 1-0 lead with a goal from Robert Eichelberger (Odessa, Fla.) at the 5:58 mark of the second period. The freshman netted his first career goal by burying a Sebastien Laquerre (Lévis, Quebec) pass past the opposing goaltender from the center of the zone. Cameron Weitzman (Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec) continued his hot streak of late with an assist on the score.
After the Golden Bears knotted the score at 1-1, the Falcons retook a one-goal lead, 2-1, at the 18:30 mark of the second. Playing 5-on-5, Jack Hannan (Kent, Conn.) took advantage of the extra space on the ice by cashing in on an Adam Scholz (Waterdown, Ontario) pass. Hannan's goal is the first of his young career.
The Falcons continued to pad their advantage just over a minute later with a strike from Matthew Capisciolto (Russell, Ontario). Just like Eichelberger and Hannan, Capisciolto posted his first collegiate goal in the second period. The Russell, Ontario, native was assisted on the score by Scholz and Jon Olson (Merrick, N.Y.).
Trailing 3-1 after two periods, the Golden Bears cut the deficit to one, 3-2, at the 16:57 mark of the third with a goal from Anthony Frati.
With a one-goal lead and the opposing goalie on the bench, the Falcons secured the historic win tonight with an empty-net score from Weitzman with 1:19 left in regulation. Weitzman stole the puck from just behind the center line and launched it straight into the back of the net for his team-leading fifth goal of the season.
Between the pipes for the Falcons, Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta) continued to be a rock for the team, tallying 29 saves on 31 shots. The freshman netminder picks up his second win of the season, allowing just two goals in both contests.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Pierce Diamond (W, 2-10-2): Shots on Goal 31 | Goals-Against 2 | Saves 29
Western New England - Kyle Carducci (L, 3-6-1): Shots on Goal 37 | Goals-Against 3 | Saves 34
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Falcons outshot the Golden Bears by a 38-31 margin.
• Albertus went 0-for-4 on the power play, while also holding WNE to an 0-for-9 mark on the extra man.
• The Falcons committed 10 penalties for a combined 28 minutes in the box.
• The Golden Bears, on the other hand, were whistled for five infractions for 18 minutes.
• Weitzman led Albertus with six shots on the night.
• In total, 13 different Falcons tallied a shot in the game.
• With a goal and an assist, Weitzman was the lone multi-point scorer on the evening.
• Luciano Bucci paced the visitors with six shots.
• Albertus picked up its first-ever win at the Ralph Walker Skating Rink.
• The Falcons have won back-to-back games for the first time in program history.
• Albertus' four goals scored is the second most by the team on the year.
• The Falcons have gone a perfect 12-for-12 on the penalty kill in their last two games after going 9-for-9 tonight.
• Weitzman now leads the team in both points (10) and goals (5) this season.
• The freshman has tallied a point in five of the last six games.
• Eichelberger, Hannan and Capisciolto all scored their first collegiate goals this evening.
The Falcons will next challenge King's College (Pa.) on Friday, Jan. 10, at 7 p.m. at the Ralph Walker Skating Rink. Friday's contest will be the first of back-to-back meetings between the Falcons and Monarchs.