FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 11 | Daniel Webster 8
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-0) | Daniel Webster (0-1)
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Sophomore James May (Branford, Conn.) and senior Justin Bennet (Fairfield, Conn.) combined to score seven goals and dished out two assists to lead the Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team past visiting Daniel Webster, 11-8, in non-conference action on Friday evening at Celentano Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Over the first three minutes of play, Albertus jumped out to a 3-0 lead before extending its lead to 5-0 with less than a minute to go. During that spurt, Brennan Moore (Meriden, Conn.) and Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) each recorded a goal and an assist for the Falcons.
Daniel Webster scored four of the five goals in the second quarter to cut the lead to two, 6-4, heading into halftime. The Eagles began the frame with two straight goals before Buck found May for his second goal of the game at the 9:32 mark, but Daniel Webster would close out the stanza with two unanswered goals from Gavin Abott and Tre Mason.
The third quarter saw a total of six goals between the two teams, but Albertus would lead 9-7 entering the final 15 minutes of play. Out of three for Albertus, May recorded one as well as assisted the two other goals.
In the final quarter, Albertus Magnus pushed its lead to three, 10-7, but the Eagles battled back with an unanswered goal at the 6:46 mark to cut the lead to two, 10-8. However, Bennett scored on a man-up opportunity to put the game away and secure the Falcons first season opener win.
FIRST HALF STATS
- Five different players scored at least one goal in the opening 15 minutes of play.
- Daniel Webster outscored the Falcons 4-1 in the second quarter, including two goals from Gavin Abbott.
- Albertus outshot the visitors in the first 21-16, but the Eagles held a 26-20 advantage in ground balls.
SECOND HALF STATS
- Heading into the fourth quarter, Albertus still remained perfect in clears, 17-17.
- Daniel Webster was 2-4 in extra-man opportunities while the Falcons were 1-4.
- May led the offensive charge in the second with two goals and two assists while Bennett also added two goals, one a man-up goal.
- Between the pipes, Jack Kerner (Merrick, N.Y.) made 12 saves in over 60 minutes of action to record the victory for the Falcons.
- On the opposite side, James Bushey turned aside 14 shots in the losing effort for the Eagles.
- Both teams recorded 42 ground balls while Albertus won 12 of its' 21 face-offs.
- Tre Mason led Daniel Webster with a team-high four goals and two ground balls.
- Bennett was all over the field as he finished the game with nine ground balls, three goals, eight shots and six shots on goal.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on March 1, with a road non-conference clash against Mitchell at 2 pm. This non-conference clash will be played at Connecticut College in New London, Conn.