FINAL SCORE: Johnson & Wales 15 | Albertus Magnus 11
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-11, 0-7) | Johnson & Wales (10-6, 4-3)
New Haven, Conn. – Senior Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team recorded his 200th career point, behind a five-goal performance, as the Falcons were edged by Johnson & Wales, 15-11, on Tuesday evening at Celentano Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Wildcats came out of the gates quickly, holding a 4-1 edge over the hosts after the first quarter. Johnson & Wales opened the game with four straight goals until James May broke the silence with the Falcons' first goal of the game at the 2:05 mark. May was able to find the back of the net after a nice feed from Justin Bennet (Fairfield, Conn.) to close out the frame.
During the second quarter, Johnson & Wales outscored the Falcons, 4-3, to lead 8-4 at halftime. Senior Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) would get things started in the second with his 31st goal of the season two minutes in, but the Wildcats would put together a 4-0 run to push the lead to six, 8-2. Shortly after, Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) and Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) would score back-to-back goals to wrap up the first half for the Falcons.
It was all Albertus Magnus in the third period as the Falcons outscored the Wildcats, 4-3, including a goal each from four different players. The hosts' scored first in the frame with a man-up goal from Brennan Moore (Meriden, Conn.) before Johnson & Wales rattled off two man-up goals to double the score, 10-5.
A minute later, May would find Buck for his third goal of the game on a man-down opportunity following a penalty by the Wildcats. Two minutes later, Johnson & Wales' offense struck again scoring on a man-down opportunity, but May and Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) would wrap up the third with back-to-back goals, cutting the lead to three, 11-8.
Johnson & Wales opened the final quarter with two straight goals to push the lead to 13-8 until Buck and Bennet would score seven seconds apart to breathe life into the Falcons, 13-10. Down by four, Buck would score his fifth goal of the game after a nice dish from Moore to bring the Falcons to within three, 14-11, with 6:49 remaining,. However, the Falcons would fall short, 15-11, following a goal by the visitors.
INSIDE THE STATS
- May also recorded a five-point performance as the sophomore recorded two goals and three assists as well as tallied a ground ball.
- Magnifico also added to the Falcons' offense with two goals and seven ground balls.
- In the face-off circle, Bennet went 14-of-30 with 14 ground balls. He also recorded his 400th career ground ball in the loss.
- Johnson & Wales finished the game 33-of-35 in clears, 3-of-11 in man-up opportunities and 16-of-30 in face-offs.
- Albertus Magnus was 23-of-30 in clear attempts as well as recorded 19 turnovers.
- The Wildcats outshot the hosts 43-33 and was led offensively by Erik Lindaas.
- Junior Jack Kerner (Merrick, N.Y.) picked up the loss in net and recorded 11 saves.
The Falcons close out the 2017 regular season this Saturday, April 29th at Rivier University. Face-off is set for 4 p.m.