Albertus Magnus College
Men's Lacrosse Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (2-4, 0-2)
Anna Maria (2-7, 0-2)
Wed., April 4 • 7 p.m. • Celentano Field • New Haven, Conn.
Albertus Magnus (2-4, 0-2)
Norwich (4-5, 1-1)
Sat., April 7 • 1 p.m. • Celentano Field • New Haven, Conn.
A NEW WEEK
The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team continues its four-game homestand as the Falcons host a pair of GNAC contests against Anna Maria and Norwich in the week ahead.
MAY NAMED ALBERTUS MAGNUS COLLEGE MALE STUDENT-ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Junior James May (Branford, Conn.) of the men's lacrosse team has been named as the Albertus Magnus College Male Student-Athlete of Week. Initiated in September, 2017, the 'Athlete of the Week' program recognizes one female and one male student-athlete each week for demonstrated excellence on the playing field.
May tallied 15 points on 10 goals and eight assists in a 1-2 week for the Falcons. He opened the week scoring a career-high eight goals and three assists for a season-best 11 points in the win over Mitchell. Two days later, May posted a two-point (1g,1a) performance in a loss to Mass. Maritime, before concluding the week with a goal and an assist in the conference loss to Rivier. The junior attack also scooped up four ground balls.
ALL-TIME VS. ANNA MARIA
Albertus Magnus leads the all-time series over Anna Maria, 3-1.
LAST TIME VS. ANNA MARIA
Game (4/18/17): Anna Maria 17 | Albertus Magnus 5 - RECAP / BOX SCORE
ALL-TIME VS. NORWICH
Norwich holds a 4-0 edge over Albertus Magns in the all-time series.
LAST TIME VS. NORWICH
Game (4/15/17): Norwich 18 | Albertus Magnus 6 - RECAP / BOX SCORE
TOP FIVE POINT LEADERS
- James May – 25 points (18g, 7a)
- Brennan Moore – 23 points (11g, 12a)
- Christopher Magnifico – 17 points (11g, 6a)
- Jordan Garguilo – 13 points (2g, 11a)
- Jayme Toro – 9 points (9g)
GNAC STAT LEADERS
- Brennan Moore
- Tied in fourth with 12 assists.
- Jayme Toro
- first with 63 ground balls.
- third in face-offs (85-135)
- Niko Ames
- fifth with 14 caused turnovers.
- First in the GNAC:
- 30.6 shooting percentage
- 56.7 face-off percentage
- 91-121 in clears
- Second in the GNAC:
- 31.0 shots per game
- 2 man down goals
- 78 goals against
- Third in the GNAC:
- 36.1 man-up percentage
Albertus Magnus has nine student-athletes returning from last year's squad – Jack Kerner, Niko Ames, Kevin Henninger, Austin Kozak, James May, Brennan Moore, Nicholas Pereiro and Christopher Magnifico.
LACROSSE PICKED TO FINISH NINTH IN GNAC PRESEASON POLL
LINK: Complete GNAC Release
The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team was picked to finish ninth in the 2018 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Poll.
The Falcons, who ended 2017 with an overall record of 3-12, earned 15 points along with 10-place Annda Maria. Lasell sits atop the poll after receiving seven of a possible 10 first-place votes for 97 points.
- Albertus Magnus holds a 1-4 record in season openers.
- The Falcons first season opener win came last season against Daniel Webster.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons finished the 2016-17 season with a 3-12 overall record and finished ninth in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC).
- Albertus Magnus posted wins over non-conference foes Daniel Webster, Becker and Wheelock.
- Justin Bennet (Fairfield, Conn.) finished out his career at Albertus Magnus becoming the all-time leader in groundballs, face-off wins, face-off percentage and games played.
- Last season, Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) led the offensive unit in points (52), shots (135), goals (36) and shots on goals (77). Buck also became the program's all-time leader in points with 200 and goals with 144.
- Albertus goaltender Jack Kerner recorded his 500th career save against Mount Ida as well as scored his first collegiate goal versus Wheelock.
BENNET EARNS ALL-GNAC HONORS
Former Falcon Justin Bennet (Fairfield, Conn.) was named to the All-GNAC Second Team as well as the GNAC All-Sportsmanship Team last season for Albertus Magnus. Bennet had another record-breaking year for the Falcons, scoring 26 goals and adding a career-high 17 assists for 43 points. Earlier in the season against Mass. Maritime, Bennet collected his 100th career point and also earned his 500th career face-off win against GNAC foe Emmanuel.
BENNET, BUCK EARN NEILA ACADEMIC ALL-REGION
Justin Bennet (Fairfield, Conn.) and Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team were named as members of the 2017 New England Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (NEILA) Academic All Region teams.
BUCK SELECTED AS NEILA ALL-STAR
Albertus Magnus College senior attackman Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) has been selected as one of 52 student-athletes who will compete in this year's New England Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (NEILA) East-West Senior All Star Game
MEN'S LACROSSE LANDS SEVEN PLAYERS ON THE GNAC ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team had seven student-athletes – John Brunetti, Patrick Croteau, Matthew Mueller, Brennan Moore, Justin Bennet, Greg Buck and Niko Ames - be named to the 2016-17 GNAC All-Academic Team for their work inside the classroom.
The Falcons return to the field next week against Lyndon State (4/9), Johnson & Wales (RI) and Saint Joseph's of Maine (4/14).