Link: Box Score (check back later)
Purchase, N.Y. - The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team opened the 2019 spring slate with a 19-11 setback against Purchase College Friday evening in non-conference play. Senior James May (Branford, Conn.) paced the Falcons' attack with a team-high five points behind a five-goal performance, highlighted by four goals in the second half. Behind his five-goal performance, May becomes the fifth player in program history to hit the 100th point club.
FINAL: Purchase College 19 | Albertus Magnus College 11
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-1) | Purchase (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half (7-6 AM)
- Albertus saw a great deal of the ball in the early going, jumping out to a quick 3-0 lead before finding themselves up 4-1 with 6:27 remaining in the first period.
- During the early scoring run, May, Derek Ralston (Guilford, Conn.), Zachary Librizzi (Warwick, R.I.) and Kaj Djonne (Sandy Hook, Conn.) each scored their first goal of the season.
- Back-to-back goals from Purchase brought the score to within one, 4-2, but the Falcons would head into the second period with a 5-4 advantage.
- Librizzi opened the period scoring his second goal of the game after a nice feed from Andrew Luzzi (East Haven, Conn.) two minutes in.
- However, Purchase evened the score at the 4:11 mark following a pair of goals from Tyler Kehoe and Ayotunde Otuyelo.
- Junior Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) closed out the half giving the Falcons a one-goal lead, 7-6.
- The Panthers had two opportunities to to even the score once again, but a great save by John Brunetti (West Haven, Conn.) and a blocked shot kept the hosts at bay.
Second Half (13-4 PC)
- Purchase came out firing on all cylinders as the Panthers outscored the Falcons 6-0 in the third to push their lead to 12-4 entering the final 15 minutes of play.
- Albertus saw the Panthers' lead grow to 10, 17-7, but three straight goals from May brought the Falcons to within seven, 17-10, with 3:39 left in regulation.
- The Falcons' continued to fight, but Purchase came up on top, 19-11, after ending regulation on a 2-1 run.
- In the face-off circle, Ralston was 11-of-21 and collected a team-high six ground balls.
- Luzzi finished his first game as a Falcon with two assists as well as went 6-of-12 in the face-off circle.
- Sophomore Mykel Stinson (Bridgerport, Conn.) led the defensive unit with three caused turnovers.
- Purchase was led offensively by Ohrem who finished the game with eight points thanks to seven goals and an assist.
- In the face-off circle, Joseph Ely was 13-of-27 as well as tallied a game-high 10 ground balls and caused five turnovers.
- Christian Ishoo recorded a team-high two assists to go along with two goals for four points.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- John Brunetti (West Haven, Conn.): 14 Goals-Against | 14 Saves
- Dane Walsh (Bethany, Conn.): 5 Goals-Against | 2 Saves
- Matt Sayegh: 11 Goals-Against | 3 Saves
Albertus opens up Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action on Saturday, March 16 with a home contest against Emmanuel College. Game-time is set for 1 p.m. at Celentano Field in New Haven, Conn.