Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team opened up Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play with an 18-4 home loss to Emmanuel College on Saturday afternoon at Celentano Field.
FINAL: Emmanuel 18 | Albertus Magnus 4
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-2, 0-1) | Emmanuel (1-4, 1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half (9-2 EM)
- Emmanuel controlled the opening 10 minutes of play as the Saints held a five-goal lead, 5-0, until the 4:04 mark as Mykel Stinson (Bridgeport, Conn.) scored his second of the season following the face-off win to break the scoreless drought for the Falcons, 5-1.
- Albertus was unable to find the back of the net for the remainder of the period and trailed Emmanuel, 7-1, entering the second.
- Senior James May (Branford, Conn.) kicked off the period scoring his first of the game at the 7:47 mark to bring the hosts to within five, 7-2.
- The Falcons' defensive unit fed off May's goal and held the Saints to only two goals for the remainder of the half, 9-2.
Second Half (9-2 EM)
- Emmanuel opened the third with a 7-0 run to take a commanding 16-2 lead over Albertus.
- At the 2:30 mark, freshman Andre Young (Stamford, Conn.) would score his first collegiate goal and bring the score to 16-3.
- However, from that point on Albertus could only play catch up as Emmanuel outscored the hosts 2-1 for the remaining 17 minutes of play to secure the road win.
- May would score his final goal of the game in the fourth quarter at the 4:00 mark off a nice feed from Stinson.
- Along with his two goals, May posted a caused turnover and a ground ball.
- Stinson scooped up a season-high 10 ground balls as well as finished with two points behind a goal and an assist.
- Freshman Derek Ralston (Guilford, Conn.) finished the conference clash 15-of-25 in the face-off circle and seven ground balls.
- Matt Katon finished the game with a team-high six goals to go along with an assist, four ground balls and three caused turnovers.
- Both Steve Gervasio and Ben Hartig-Orr each recorded a hat trick as well as an assist to help the Saints to victory.
- Eleven Saints players registered at least two ground balls, including a team-high four from Gervasio, Katon and Morgan Mercier.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- John Brunetti (West Haven, Conn.) (L, 0-2): 17 Goals-Against | 18 Saves | 35 Shots
- Dane Walsh (Bethany, Conn.): 1 Goal-Against | 6 Saves | 7 Shots
- Aric Graves (W, 1-2): 3 Goals-Against | 3 Saves | 6 Shots
- Peyton Goodwin: 1 Goal-Against | 1 Shot
Albertus returns to action on Tuesday, March 19 with a home GNAC tilt against Regis (Mass.). Face-off is set for 7pm at Celentano Field in New Haven, Conn.