Link: Box Score
New London, Conn. – Despite a season-high seven points (6 goals,1 assist) from senior James May (Branford, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team fell on the road to in-state foe Mitchell College, 15-7, on Wednesday afternoon in non-conference play at Alumni Field.
FINAL: Mitchell College 15 | Albertus Magnus 7
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-4) | Mitchell (3-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Less than a minute into play, May found the back of the net for his 11th goal of the season on a feed from Derek Ralston (Guilford, Conn.), giving the Falcons the early edge, 1-0.
- Mitchell then went on a 3-0 scoring run, behind a pair of goals from Ethan LePain, to push its lead to two, 3-1, but a second goal from May brought the Falcons to within one, 3-2, with 2:27 left in the first.
- The Mariners would close out the stanza with a 5-2 advantage before outscoring the Falcons 3-1 in the second to take a five-goal lead at the half, 8-3.
- The Falcons third goal of the game came from sophomore Mykel Stinson (Bridgeport, Conn.) who scored with one second left on the clock.
- The third quarter started off with Albertus and Mitchell trading goals until a goal from Jade Shields sparked another Mariners' run to extend its lead to 13-5.
- With 40s seconds left on the clock, May scored the final goal of the third as well as his fifth goal of the game to bring the score to 13-6.
- In the final quarter, Mitchell held Albertus to only one goal on seven shots to take home the non-conference win.
- Freshman Andrew Luzzi (East Haven, Conn.) scooped up a team-high five ground balls and caused two turnovers.
- Along with a goal and two assists, Stinson finished with four ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Junior Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) also tallied an assist.
- Ethan LePain led the Mariners with eight points behind five goals and three assists.
- Kyle Marsh finished the game with four goals and three assists to go along with 13 ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Jake Karnes led the defensive unit with three caused turnovers.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- John Brunetti (West Haven, Conn.) (L, 1-4): 12 Goals-Against | 13 Saves | 25 Shots
- Dane Walsh (Bethany, Conn.): 3 Goals-Against | 8 Saves | 11 Shots
- Marcel Quinlan (W, 3-6): 7 Goals-Against | 9 Saves | 16 Shots
The men's lacrosse team resumes GNAC play on Saturday, March 30 with a road game at Norwich. Face-off is set for 1PM.