Riverdale, N.Y. - Senior James May (Branford, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team recorded his fifth hat trick of the season in the Falcons' loss to the College of Mount Saint Vincent Tuesday evening in non-conference play at Marillac Field.
FINAL: Mt. St. Vincent 17 | Albertus Magnus 5
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-8) | Mt. St. Vincent (3-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Dolphins got off to an impressive start, as the team led 4-0, including three goals from Patrick Nagy, at the conclusion of the first quarter.
Albertus saw Mt St. Vincent's lead grow to 7-0 until a pair of goals from May at the 6:18 and 4:03 mark brought the visitors to within six, 8-2, heading into halftime.
Mt. St. Vincent opened the second half scoring five straight goals to take a commanding 13-2 lead with 1:14 remaining in the third. With 56 seconds left on the clock, freshman Andrew Luzzi (East Haven, Conn.) found the back of the net for his first collegiate goal following a nice pass from Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.), bringing the score to 13-3.
The Falcons fed off Luzzi's third quarter goal as Magnifico and May kicked off the final stanza with a goal each, but it wasn't enough to secure the comeback as the Dolphins put the game away 17-5 after closing out regulation with a 4-0 run.
BETWEEN THE PIPEs
- Dane Walsh (Bethany, Conn.) (L, 0-1): 17 Goals-Against | 13 Saves | 30 Shots
Mt. St. Vincent:
- Christian Brody: 5 Goals-Against | 15 Saves | 20 Shots
- Mykel Stinson (Bridgeport, Conn.) finished with a game-high two caused turnovers and scooped up two ground balls.
- Along with his goal, Luzzi collected a team-high nine ground balls and finished 16-of-25 in the face-off circle.
- Magnifico finished the game with a goal, an assist, three ground balls and a caused turnover.
Mt. St. Vincent:
- Matthew Pincus led the offensive unit with nine points behind six goals and three assists to go with five ground balls and a caused turnover.
- Nagy also had a day for the Dolphins recording five goals, five assists, two ground balls and a caused turnover.
- Kyle McGovern led the defensive unit with four caused turnovers and scooped up three ground balls.
- Neil McGovern also posted a hat trick as well as tallied an assist and three ground balls.
Albertus continues non-conference play with a home game against Mass. Maritime on Wednesday, April 17 at 7:00PM.