Paxton, Mass. - The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team closed out the 2019 regular season with an 18-4 road loss to Anna Maria College on Tuesday evening in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) showdown at AMCAT Field.
FINAL: Anna Maria 18 | Albertus Magnus 4
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-11, 1-7) | Anna Maria (6-11, 3-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Forty-five seconds into the first senior James May (Branford, Conn.) found the back of the net for his 35th of the season to give the Falcons the early 1-0 lead. At the 11:37 mark, Kory Fortier sparked a 3-0 run that extended the AMCATS lead to two, 3-1, until a goal from Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) at 8:05 cut the deficit to one, 3-2.
Anna Maria held a 7-2 lead heading into the second before finding themselves up 9-2 after a pair of goals from Brandon Pavoni and Ryan Rockwal. Midway through the quarter, Magnifico scored his second of the game on a nice feed from Terrell Yarbrough (New Haven, Conn.), but Albertus would trail 10-3 entering halftime.
The AMCATS outscored the Falcons by an 8-1 margin during the remainder of the play to clinch the 14-goal triumph.
- Freshman Andrew Luzzi (East Haven, Conn.) finished 5-for-25 in the face-off circle and scooped up a ground ball.
- Freshman Andre Young (Stamford, Conn.) led the Falcons with three ground balls.
- Kaj Djonne (Newtown, Conn.), Tyler Landsiedel (Stamford, Conn.) and Magnifico caused a turnover.
- Eric Glover led the offensive unit with five goals and an assist for six points while Fortier finished with seven points behind four goals and three assists.
- Brandon Pavoni also tallied four goals to go with three caused turnovers and four ground balls.
- James Wieliczko scooped up a team-high 15 ground balls.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- John Brunetti (West Haven, Conn.) (L, 2-10): 14 Goals-Against | 18 Saves | 32 Shots
- Dane Walsh (Bethany, Conn.): 4 Goals-Against | 3 Saves | 7 Shots
- Paul Schwarz (W, 4-9): 4 Goals-Against | 9 Saves | 13 Shots
Albertus earns the eighth-seed in the upcoming conference tournament and will face top-seeded Lasell College on Saturday, April 27th in Newton, Mass. Face-off is set for 4PM. This is the program's first GNAC postseason appearance.