Newton, Mass. – The eighth seeded Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team saw its season come to an end with an 18-4 setback against top-seeded Lasell College on Saturday evening in the quarterfinals of the 2019 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Men's Lacrosse Tournament.
FINAL: Lasell 18 | Albertus Magnus 4
RECORDS: #8 Albertus Magnus (2-12) | #1 Lasell (15-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Three minutes into regulation, Lasell's Ryan Madden found the back of the net against the Falcons' keeper to give the hosts the early one-goal lead, but two minutes later, sophomore Mykel Stinson (Bridgeport, Conn.) evened the game at 1-1 with his ninth goal of the season.
However, Lasell resumed control on offense and closed out the stanza with a four-goal cushion, 5-1.
Trailing 6-1, junior Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) scored the Falcons' second of the game to cut the deficit to four, 6-2 with 12:21 left on the clock. Lasell rattled off six consecutive goals in the last seven minutes of the half to push the margin to 12-2 at halftime.
Lasell outscored the visitors 4-1 in the third quarter and cruised to the win in the fourth after outscoring the visitors by a 2-1 edge. With the win, the Lasers advance to the GNAC semifinals and will face either Rivier University of Anna Maria College.
The Falcons two goals of the second half came from Stinson and freshman Terrell Yarbrough (New Haven, Conn.). Senior Kaj Djonne (Newtown, Conn.) picked up the assist on Yarbrough's fourht-quarter goal.
- Freshman Andrew Luzzi (East Haven, Conn.) finished 8-for-25 in the face-off circle.
- Both Magnifico and Djonne caused a team-best two turnovers.
- Ryan Madden and James Anderson each recorded a hat trick while Madden added two assists to his stat line.
- Bash Cunningham and Mike Susi assisted three goals each.
- The Lasers defensive unit was led by Tyler Rose who recorded two caused turnovers to go with two ground balls.
- Lasell won 18 of 25 face-offs, with Ben Werner winning 9-of-10 and Steven Phelps winning 9-of-15.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- John Brunetti (L, 2-11) (West Haven, Conn.): 16 Goals-Against | 15 Saves | 31 Shots
- Dane Walsh (Bethany, Conn.): 2 Goals-Against | 0 Saves | 2 Shots
- Alex Beauchemin (W, 14-1): 2 Goals-Against | 2 Saves | 4 Shots
- Ryan Janovic: 2 Goals-Against | 2 Saves | 4 Shots
- Mike Davison: 0 Goals-Against | 0 Saves | 0 Shots