NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team forced overtime in its season-opener against Purchase College Friday evening, however, the Falcons dropped a 7-6 decision at home under the lights at Celentano Field.
FINAL: Purchase College 7 | Albertus Magnus 6 (OT)
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-1) | Purchase College (1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Panthers controlled the action in the first half, taking a 4-1 lead into the break. The lone score for Albertus came from freshman Sinmisola Lawal (Bridgeport, Conn.), as he spun around after a Jon Olson (Bellmore, N.Y.) pass and found daylight past the opposing keeper.
Albertus found its legs in the third quarter, tallying two goals in the frame to cut the deficit to 5-3. Junior Mykel Stinson (Bridgeport, Conn.) took a pass from Elienai Duquene (Stamford, Conn.) in front of the crease and buried the shot to the top corner for the first goal. Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) scored next on the man up, taking the ball from behind the cage and beating a defender and the goalie for the score.
The fourth quarter was an exciting one for the Falcons, as they netted three more tallies to force overtime. Olson scored the first of his two on the day to begin the fourth, cutting the margin to one, 5-4. Following a Purchase goal, Olson scored again before Zaheim Wilkins (Mastic Beach, N.Y.) knotted the score at 6-6 with a strike from the left side of the zone to force overtime.
Unfortunately for Albertus, the Panthers struck first in OT to take the tightly-contested victory. With a Falcons serving a penalty, Connor Schwenker cashed in on a man-up opportunity to seal the season-opening win for the visitors.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Dane Walsh (L, 0-1): Shots on Goal 18 | Goals-Against 7 | Saves 11
Purchase - Matt Sayegh (W, 1-0): Shots on Goal 18 | Goals-Against 6 | Saves 12
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Falcons owned a 36-30 advantage in shots in the game.
• Albertus committed 21 turnovers to the Panthers' 20.
• The Falcons won 11 of 15 faceoffs in the game.
• Albertus also bested the Panthers in ground balls, 36-27.
• Purchase finished the night with 13 penalties, to the Falcons' eight.
• The Falcons are 1-1 in their last two overtime games, last beating Becker, 11-10, on April 3, 2019.
• Lawal, Olson and Wilkins all scored their first collegiate goals tonight.
• In total, 11 Falcons made their collegiate debuts.
• In his second collegiate start, sophomore Dane Walsh (Bethany, Conn.) made 11 saves, coming close to his first career win.
• Albertus' two leading returners, Magnifico and Stinson both picked up where they left off last season, each tallying a goal and an assist.
The Falcons will be back in action on Tuesday, March 3, with a home at 6 p.m. tilt against MCLA at Celentano Field.