Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team fought for 110 minutes on Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action, emerging with a 1-1 tie against Emmanuel (Mass.) at Celentano Field as part of Homecoming Weekend.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 1 | Emmanuel 1 - 2OT
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-3-1, 0-1-1) | Emmanuel (2-3-1, 1-1-1_
HOW IT HAPPENED
Emmanuel got things started as Samuel Burghardt scored the first goal of the game at the 21 minute on a nice cross from Giovanni Ortiz, giving the visitors the 1-0 edge.
However, six minutes later, freshman Peter Rivera (Norwalk, Conn.) found the back of the net for his second goal of the year evening the score at 1-1. Rivera's tally was assisted by a Saints' defender as it went off his foot and into the net.
For the remainder of regulation, both teams battled offensively and defensively sending the game into extra time. Albertus and Emmanuel battled through two ten-minute overtime periods, but neither team was able to find the back of the net ending the game in a 1-1 draw.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emmanuel outshot Albertus by a 17-15 edge.
- The Falcons held the advantage in corner kicks, 6-5.
- Freshman Emmanuel Yeboah (Hamden, Conn.) led the offensive attack for the Falcons recording five shots and four shots on goal.
- Robert Danielian posted a team-high six shots for the Saints.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus Magnus - Joe Russo (T, 1-3-1): 11 Shots on Goal | 1 Goal-Against | 10 Saves | 110 minutes
- Emmanuel - Jonathan Ferrarini (T, 2-3-1): 7 Shots on Goal | 1 Goal-Against | 6 Saves | 110 minutes
The men's soccer team returns to action on Saturday, September 22 as the Falcons travel to Providence, R.I. to battle Johnson & Wales.