New Haven, Conn. – A goal scored by Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) with just under three minutes to go in the first half was the difference in the non-conference contest as the Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team bested Nichols College, 1-0, Sunday afternoon at Celentano Field.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 1 | Nichols College 0
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-0) | Nichols College (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Ourmorou broke the scoreless contest in the 43rd minute of play with his second goal of the fall. The West Haven, Conn. native gained control of the ball, juked a couple of defenders and beat the Bison keeper to give the Falcons the one-goal edge.
Nichols had the opportunity to score about a minute later, but a valiant save by Falcons' goalkeeper Jared Brennan (North Haven, Conn.) kept the visitors off the board entering the half, 1-0.
The Falcons' backline, along with Brennan, kept the potent Bison attack off the board for the remainder of the way to secure the home win.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus: Jared Brennan (W, 2-0) - 3 Shots on Goal | 0 Goals-Against | 3 Saves
- Nichols: Juan Carlos de la Cruz (L, 1-1) - 3 Shots on Goal | 1 Goal-Against | 2 Saves
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Both Nichols and Albertus had four corner kicks on the afternoon.
- The Falcons outshot the Bison by a 14-9 edge.
- Oumorou and Abdoul Aremu (West Haven, Conn.) combined for eight of the Falcons' 14 shots.
- Freshman Michael Hidalgo (Norwalk, Conn.) also served as an offensive threat for the hosts recording three shots.
- Albertus defeated Nichols for the fourth time in all-time series (4-3-1).
- This was the second straight shutout from the Falcons.
Albertus returns to action on Wednesday, September 4th as the Falcons battle Dean College in a non-conference showdown at Celentano Field. Game time is set for 7:30 PM.