Standish, Me. – The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team suffered its first Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) loss of the season to Saint Joseph's College of Maine, 4-0, on Saturday afternoon at the SJC Athletic Complex.
FINAL: Saint Joseph's of Maine 4 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-2-1, 1-1-0 GNAC) | Saint Joseph's of Maine (5-0-2, 1-0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Saint Joseph's powered past Albertus with a pair of goals from Noah Robinson and a goal each from Kuma Onyejose and Austin Ward.
Onyejose put the Monks on the scoreboard in the 15th minute following a nice feed from Keenan Welzel before Robinson extended the hosts margin to two after scoring his first of the game at the 16:37 mark. Ward would close out the half netting his second goal of the season and the Falcons would head into the locker room trailing by 3-0.
Less than two minutes into the second stanza, Robinson struck again with his second of the game and gave the Monks a four-goal cushion. Despite four shot attempts, the Falcons were unsuccessful against the Monks' defensive line and suffered its first shutout of the season.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus: Garfield Robinson (L, 1-1) – 8 Shots on Goal | 4 Goals-Against | 4 Saves
- Saint Joseph's (ME): David Walbridge (W, 5-0-2) – 0 Shots on Goal | 0 Goals-Against | 0 Saves
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Abdoul Aremu (West Haven, Conn.) led the Falcons with two shots while Albert Afful (West Haven, Conn.) and Tyler Saad (Naugatuck, Conn.) tallied a shot each.
- The Monks held a lop-sided 25-4 advantage in shots and put eight attempts on target.
- Saint Joseph's had more corner opportunities than Albertus, 8-0.
- Tom Griffin and Rowan Daligan also made an appearance in net for the Monks.
The men's soccer team resumes non-conference play with a road tilt against SUNY New Paltz on Wednesday, September 25. Game time is set for 4:00PM in New Paltz, N.Y.