NEW PALTZ, N.Y. - The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team was unable to get its offense going in a 3-0 road loss to SUNY New Paltz on Wednesday afternoon in New Paltz, N.Y.
FINAL SCORE: New Paltz 3 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-3-1) | New Paltz (6-2-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Hawks got on the scoreboard first at the 9:01 mark of the opening half with a goal from Coltan Goodwine. It took New Paltz 4:42 to take a 2-0 advantage, when Philip Varner netted his third goal of the season on a pass from Ryan Hilliard.
New Paltz held a 2-0 lead for the next 77 minutes until Ryan Stevens buried a Spencer Ryczek pass into the back of the net to make it 3-0.
The game settled down for the Falcons in the second half, with the road team holding the Hawks to just six shots, compared to 11 in the first 45 minutes. Of those six shots, three were on goal with Garfield Robinson (West Haven, Conn.) making two saves in relief.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus: Jared Brennan (L, 0-1) - 7 Shots on Goal | 2 Goals-Against | 5 Saves | 45:55
Garfield Robinson - 3 Shots on Goal | 1 Goals-Against | 2 Saves | 44:05
New Paltz: Marc DePasquale (W, 5-2) - 6 Shots on Goal | 0 Goals-Against | 6 Saves | 90:00
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• New Paltz owned a lead over Albertus Magnus in shots (17-8).
• The Falcons, on the other hand, held advantages in corner kicks (5-4) and saves (10-7).
• For the game, five yellow cards were issued with Albertus receiving four of them.
• Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) paced the Falcons' offense with three shots, all on goal.
• Abdoul Aremu (West Haven, Conn.) was not far behind with two shots on goal of his own.
• Both Albertus goalkeepers made an appearance today, with Jared Brennan (North Haven, Conn.) starting and taking the loss, and Robinson coming in as a sub.
Today's match brings an end to a five-game road trip for Albertus, as they return home on Saturday, Sept. 28, to face Lasell University at 1 p.m. in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action.