NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team scored five unanswered goals to cruise past Regis College (Mass.), 5-1, in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action on Wednesday evening at Celentano Field.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 5 | Regis 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (7-4-1, 4-1-0 GNAC) | Regis (3-7-0, 1-4-0 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Following a goal by Regis to begin the game, Albertus evened the score at 1-1 with a tally from Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.). The junior forward took a pass from Peter Rivera (Norwalk, Conn.), streaked into the box and scored to the lower portion of the net. This 1-1 score stood through the remainder of the first half.
The second half was much different from the first, however, as Albertus scored four times over the final 45-minute stretch. The first tally came from Oumorou, as he snuck a shot by the keeper while running across the end line in the 52nd minute.
In the 53rd minute, Tyler Saad (Shelton, Conn.) widened Albertus' advantage to 3-1 by burring a goal on a corner kick. Saad's attempt stayed about bar high for much of its flight, curving just over the keeper's outstretched hand at the last moment for the score.
The Falcons' fourth goal came from Abdoul Aremu (West Haven, Conn.) on a fast break. Streaking down the field, Aremu corralled an Oumorou pass and beat the goalie to the right side.
Albertus continued its pressure in the 65th minute with a strike from Michael Hidalgo (Norwalk, Conn.). For the third time in the game, the Falcons generated offense at the end line with Aremu sending a cross along the goal to Hidalgo, who calmly headed it for the score.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus: Garfield Robinson (W, 4-2-1) - 5 Shots on Goal | 1 Goal-Against | 4 Saves |90:00
Regis: Ivan Ramirez (L, 1-5-0) - 4 Shots on Goal | 4 Goals-Against | 0 Saves | 61:59
Freddie Beckmann - 4 Shots on Goal | 1 Goal-Against | 3 Saves | 28:01
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Falcons netted five goals on eight shots on goal.
• Despite taking the loss, Regis owned the lead in both shots (17-14) and corner kicks (10-6).
• Eight different Falcons tallied a shot in the game.
• Oumorou paced both teams with five points on two goals and one assist.
• Oumorou also led all players with four shots and three shots on goal.
• Garfield Robinson (West Haven, Conn.) recorded four saves to improve to 4-2-1 on the season.
• Albertus's five goals tonight are a new season high for the team.
• The Falcons have not scored five or more goals since defeating Becker College 9-0 on Sept. 22, 2014.
• Hidalgo's goal is the first of his young career.
• On the year, Oumorou is up to a team-best 12 goals and five assists.
• Oumorou paces the conference with 29 points and 12 goals.
• Robinson has allowed one-or-less goals in all but one of his last five appearances.
The men's soccer team hits the road for the first time in October on Saturday, Oct. 12, as they head to Norwich University for a GNAC showdown at 6 p.m.