MATCH 1: So. Virginia 3 | Albertus 0
SET SCORES: 25-11 (SVU), 25-9 (SVU) and 25-10 (SVU)
MATCH 2: York (N.Y.) 3 | Albertus 0
SET SCORES: 28-26 (York), 25-9 (York) and 25-18 (York)
JAMAICA, N.Y. - The Albertus Magnus College men's volleyball team dropped a pair of road matches on Saturday afternoon against Southern Virginia University and York (N.Y.). The Falcons were defeated 3-0 in both sets and fall to 1-4 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED - Match One
It was an evenly matched opening set as both teams battled through four ties until Southern Virginia found themselve up 10, 20-11, before securing the set one, 25-11.
Southern Virginia took the second set from Albertus, 25-9, to take the 2-0 lead over the Falcons entering the third.
Albertus was unable to play catch-up as the Falcons lost the final set and match, 25-10,
FINAL STATS - Match One
- Senior Joshua Turner (Trumbull, Conn.) led the team with three kills, two blocks and a dig while Brian Reyes (Danbury, Conn.) collected the Falcons' fourth kill of the game.
- Southern Virginia finished the day with a .271 team hitting percentage as well as 52 total points.
- Avery Najarian led the opposing team in kills with six as well as posted a .857 hitting percentage.
- Albertus posted a stat line of four kills, four assists, a service ace, nine digs and five blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED - Match Two
York took control early opening the match with a 7-4 run before the Falcons battled back to tie the match at 10-10. Following a kill from Brian Reyes (Danbury, Conn.), Albertus went on a short spurt to take a 16-13 lead over the hosts, but would find themselves trailing York 23-20. A service error by York tied the match at 26-26, but the Falcons would come up short, 28-26.
It was a quick second set as the Falcons lost 25-9.
In the third set, Albertus managed to bounce back and keep within reach of the hosts. With the score tied at 17-17, York secured the final set and match with a 8-1 run.
FINAL STATS - Match two
- Freshman Brian Reyes (Danbury, Conn.) collected nine of the Falcons' 22 kills as well as posted a .190 kill percentage.
- Sophomore Alijah McGee (Stratford, Conn.) posted a season-high 18 assists.
- York posted a stat line of 27 kills, 24 assists, 13 service aces, 26 digs and eight blocks.
- Akeem George led the offensive unit for York with seven kills, four service aces, five digs and a block.
The Falcons return to action on Feb. 21 at Medgar Evers.