FINAL SCORE: Johnson & Wales 3 | Albertus Magnus 0
TEAM RECORD: Albertus Magnus (2-14, 0-12) | Johnson & Wales (17-13, 6-5)
New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College men's volleyball team fell at home to Johnson & Wales, 3-0, on Tuesday evening on Senior Night. Prior to the start of the match, the Albertus Magnus College Athletic Department and the men's volleyball team honored it's two-member - Christopher Taylor (Bronx, N.Y.) and Joshua Turner (Trumbull, Conn.) - senior class.
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was a quick first set as the Wildcats opened the match with the 8-0 before finding themselves ahead 19-7 heading into a timeout. Following the short break, Albertus Magnus rallied off two straight points, but fell 25-9 in the opening frame.
Albertus Magnus and Johnson & Wales traded points to start off the second set until a kill from Turner tied the frame at 5-5. However, the Wildcats would go on a 11-4 to extend their lead to seven, 16-9, forcing the Falcons to call a timeout. The Falcons continued to fight back, but the Wildcats would go up 2-0 heading into the third set following the 25-15 second set victory.
Johnson & Wales continued to remain atop of the Falcons, 17-9, before a service error by the visitors sparked a 3-0 run to bring the score to within five, 17-12. However, the Wildcats ended the final set and match with a 8-2 run.
- The Wildcats were led offensively by Michael Foglia who recorded a team-high 10 kills while Andrew Bueno added a team-high 10 digs to the visitors' offense.
- Turner finished the match with a team-high seven kills, two digs, a block and an assist.
- Albertus Magnus wrapped up the match with 20 kills, 20 assists, three service aces, 18 digs and two blocks.
- Johnson & Wales posted a stat line of 36 kills, 33 assists, eight service aces, 29 digs and eight blocks.
- Alijah McGee (Stratford, Conn.) assisted 19 of the Falcons' 20 kills while Johnson & Wale's setter Jason Rhee assisted 31 kills.
The Falcons return to action on Thursday at Mount Ida. Game time is set for 7 p.m.