Purchase, N.Y. – The Albertus Magnus College softball team dropped a pair of non-conference games to No. 14 Manhattanville College on Wednesday afternoon at Manhattanville Field.
FINAL (Game 1): No. 14 Manhattanville 17 | Albertus Magnus 1 (5 innings)
FINAL (Game 2): No. 14 Manhattanville 16 | Albertus Magnus 2 (5 innings)
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (6-6) | No. 14 Manhattanville (10-0)
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (Game 1)
- Manhattanville jumped out early scoring 15 runs on 13 hits and capitalized on a Falcon error to take a commanding lead heading into the top of the second.
- Sophomore Kayla Gosselin (Milford, Conn.) recorded the Falcons' first at bat of the game in the top of the third before finding herself in scoring position thanks to a single from Kayla Resto (Shelton, Conn.) and a fielder choice from Jess Stettinger (East Haven, Conn.). However, a groundout to second ended the inning and the Falcons first chance of scoring a run.
- The Valiants remained quiet on offense until the bottom of the fourth as the hosts tacked on an additional two runs to push its lead to 17-0.
- Gosselin helped the Falcons avoid the shutout, hitting a deep ball over the right field fence for her first collegiate home run.
KEY STATS (Game 1)
- Freshman Erin Dighello (Wallingford, Conn.) recorded the loss for Albertus and falls to 2-4 on the season.
- Gosselin led the Falcons offense with a 2-for-2 showing at the plate with a run scored and a RBI.
- Resto and senior Marissa Guglielmi (Branford, Conn.) collected the final two hits for Albertus.
- Fourteen different players registered at least a hit for the Valiants, including five players with two hits.
- Evonne Torres recorded a team-high four RBI.
- Six players tallied two runs scored.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (Game 2)
- After a scoreless first inning, Albertus struck first as Stettinger launched a two-run RBI double to right field allowing Resto and Maxine Sanchez (Corona, N.Y.) to score to put the visitors up 2-0.
- Manhattanville countered the Falcons' two-run inning scoring 10 runs in the bottom of the second to take an eight-run lead, 10-2.
- Albertus tried to build momentum over the next three innings, but saw the Valiants lead grow to double-digits following a four-run inning in the third and a two run inning in the fourth.
KEY STATS (Game 2)
- Stettinger posted two of the Falcons' six hits while Aubrey DeFoe (Watertown, Conn.), Resto and Sanchez collected the final three.
- Junior pitcher Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) suffered her first loss of the season.
- Isela Casillas finished 3-for-3 with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Evonne Torres posted a game-high four RBI behind a two-hit performance.
- Aarin Hartenstein remains undefeated on the mound and improves to 4-0 on the year.
Albertus continues non-conference play with a home doubleheader against MCLA on Saturday, March 23. Game times are set for 12 pm and 2 pm at the Shea Softball Complex.