New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team swept its non-conference doubleheader against MCLA by scores of 5-4 and 4-3 on Saturday afternoon in its home opener at the Shea Softball Complex.
FINAL (G1): Albertus Magnus 5 | MCLA 4
FINAL (G2): Albertus Magnus 4 | MCLA 3
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (8-6) | MCLA (2-10)
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (Game 1)
After a scoreless first inning, MCLA opened the game with the early lead following a four-run inning that started with a two-run RBI single from Kaitlyn Berghela. With two outs and the bases loaded, Berghela drove in two of the three runners on base before Kayla Baker cleared the bases with a two-run RBI single.
Albertus came alive in the bottom of the fifth scoring its first run of the game on a single from Jess Stettinger (East Haven, Conn.) before tacking on two more runs in the bottom of the sixth behind a RBI each from Aubrey DeFoe (Watertown, Conn.) and Kayla Gosselin (Milford, Conn.) to cut the lead to one, 4-3.
In the bottom of the seventh, Albertus kept things going as Stettinger found herself in scoring position after starting the inning with a single to left and finding herself on third following a stolen base and a sac bunt from Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.). With one out, Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) allowed Stettinger to score after hitting a short ball over the head of the shortstop.
The Falcons sealed the non-conference win as Kristin Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) drove in Anderson from second off an RBI single.
- Both team registered eight hits in game one while Albertus posted a 5-4 edge in RBI.
- Anderson picked up the win for the Falcons and improves to 4-1 on the season.
- At the plate, Anderson was 3-for-4 with two runs and a RBI.
- Stettinger finished the game with two hits, a run scored and a RBI.
- MCLA was led offensively by Erika Quackenbush who posted two hits.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (Game 2)
Anderson kicked off the game giving the host the early 1-0 advantage after scoring off on throwing error by the left fielder after getting on base thanks to a deep triple to left.
MCLA answered back an inning later scoring three runs on four hits to take a 3-1 lead, but back-to-back one-run innings from Albertus evened the score at 3-3. Freshman Kayla Resto (Shelton, Conn.) scored the Falcons second run of the game in the bottom of the fourth on a RBI single while Anderson drove in Stettinger from second in the bottom of the fifth to earn the second RBI of the game.
Gosselin started off the bottom of the sixth with a double to left before crossing home on a RBI single from Resto to give the Falcons a 4-3 advantage. Despite ending the inning with a runner on, Albertus played solid defense and stopped MCLA from scoring to secure the sweep.
- Anderson, Cunning and Resto finished with a team-high two hits while Resto posted two RBI.
- Freshman Erin Dighello (Wallingford, Conn.) earned her third win of the season as well as struck out five batters.
- Baker and Kaylyn Hollliday tallied two hits each for the Trailblazers.
Albertus returns to action on Monday, April 1 with a home non-conference doubleheader against Pine Manor. Game times are set for 2:30PM and 4:30PM at the Shea Softball Complex.