New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College softball team was swept by Saint Joseph's College of Maine in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference doubleheader on Saturday afternoon at Shea Stadium.
FINAL (G1): Saint Joseph's (ME) 9 | Albertus Magnus 2
FINAL (G2): Saint Joseph's (ME) 7 | Albertus Magnus 3
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (11-9, 0-2) | Saint Joseph's (ME) (4-11, 2-0)
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G1)
After two scoreless innings, Saint Joseph's (ME) struck first scoring a single run in the top of the third thanks to a RBI single from Madisyn Charest, however an RBI groundout from Jess Stettinger (East Haven, Conn.) in the home half of the inning evened the game at 1-1.
Bats came alive for the Monks over the next three and half innings of play as the visitors took a commanding 9-1 lead, behind a four-run inning in the top of the sixth. Albertus was held to only one run in the bottom of the seventh and fell 9-2 in game one of its conference opener.
KEY STATS (G1)
- Kate Whitney picked up the win for the Monks after allowing two runs on six hits while striking out one.
- Falcons' starter Kristin Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) earned the loss and fell to 2-2 on the season.
- Over 6.1 innings, Cunning allow nine runs on eight hits.
- Melodie Bailey, Megan Eagleston and Ashley Emery led the visitors with two hits while Emery added two RBI to her stat line.
- Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) and Kayla Resto (Shelton, Conn.) finished with two hits apiece.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G2)
Saint Joseph's (ME) opened the night cap with the one-run edge, 1-0, behind a RBI double that drove in Charest from second. Albertus evened things up in the bottom of the third as Resto scored after advancing home following a pickoff attempt at second.
The Monks regained the lead in the top of the fifth and never looked back to secure the conference sweep, defeating Albertus 7-3. Albertus rallied in the bottom of the sixth scoring two runs on three hits, but it wasn't enough for the comeback.
KEY STATS (G2)
- Caitlyn King threw a complete game as well as picked up the win for the Monks. She recorded three runs on seven hits and struck out a batter.
- A quartet of Monks registered at least two hits, including three three-hit performances from Charest, Bailey Rassol and Kaylee Burns.
- The Falcons were led by Resto who went 2-for-2 at the plate.
- Junior Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) fell to 6-2 on the year following today's loss as well as finished the game posting one of the Falcons' two RBI.
Albertus returns to the diamond on Sunday, April 7th with a GNAC doubleheader against Simmons University. Game times are set for 12PM and 2PM at Shea Stadium.