Providence, R.I. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team picked up a conference sweep over Johnson & Wales University on Sunday afternoon at the Scotts Miracle-Gro Complex. The Falcons took the opener, 4-1, then completed the sweep with the 10-6 win in game two.
FINAL (G1): Albertus Magnus 4 | Johnson & Wales 1
FINAL (G2): Albertus Magnus 10 | Johnson & Wales 6
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (13-13, 2-4) | Johnson & Wales (13-13, 5-3)
- The last time Albertus swept Johnson & Wales was back on April 21, 2002 as the Falcons won by the scores of 9-1 and 8-0.
- Following today's wins, the Falcons bring the all-time series record to 24-30.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G1)
Johnson & Wales opened game one with the early edge, 1-0, as Ally Mishol hit a deep ball to center field that scored Brenna DuPerry from third.
In the top of the third, senior Marissa Guglielmi (Branford, Conn.) gave the Falcons a one-run advantage, 2-1, following a two-run RBI single to left that allowed Kayla Resto (Shelton, Conn.) and Jess Stettinger (East Haven, Conn.) to score.
Johnson & Wales threatened Albertus in the third and fifth inning with the tying run in scoring position, but was unsuccessful against the Falcons' defensive unit.
Albertus continued to swing bat and extended its three, 4-1, in the top of the sixth behind a two-run RBI single from Megan Anderson (Levittown, N.Y.).
Johnson & Wales was kept quiet for the remainder of the game and saw its six game winning streak come to an end.
KEY STATS (G1)
- L. Anderson threw her eighth complete game and earned her seventh win of the season. Over seven innings, she allowed one run on seven hits and struck out five.
- Resto, Guglielmi and Anderson tallied two hits each while Stettinger added one to the Falcons hit total.
- Johnson & Wales Megan Antaya finished with a team-high two hits over three at bats.
- Kristin Frost suffered the loss on the mound for the Wildcats after allowing four runs on seven hits.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G2)
Albertus started off game two with a five-run cushion and never relinquished its lead. Anderson highlighted both innings for the Falcons as she scored the first run of the night cap on a RBI single before recording her third home run of the season in the bottom of the second.
Johnson & Wales scored twice in the third and got a two-run double by Megan Antaya in the fourth to cut the lead to 6-4. Albertus answered with three more in the fifth to pushed its lead back up to five, 9-4.
The Wildcats were unable to solidify the comeback despite scoring a run in the fifth and a run in the seventh.
KEY STATS (G2)
- Erin Dighello (Wallingford, Conn.) came on to pitch in the fourth and finished the game to get the victory. She gave up two runs, one earned, on six hits with three strikeouts.
- Zoe Jennings took the loss, giving up five runs in just 1.2 innings of work.
- L. Anderson led the Falcons' attack after going 3-for-4 at the plate with three RBI and four runs scored.
- Stettinger, Aubrey DeFoe (Watertown, Conn.) and Madison LaBossiere (Griswold, Conn.) each finsihed with two hits.
Albertus returns to action on Tuesday, April 16th with a road doubleheader against Anna Maria. Game times have not been determined.